www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

 Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Plinth beam requirement for a building

 
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
deepak talluri
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Plinth beam requirement for a building Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,
I am a practicing engineer from Government of Telangana. I got a critical case where initially we planned a structure with plinth beams and pedestals. But later , the site that was provided for the structure was very sloppy in nature. Hence we planned to convert ground floor as cellar for parking. But columns are executed till roof level without plinth beams. The height of columns from top of pedestal to bottom of roof beams is 4.20 m. The argument by the field staff is, plinth beams are not required if we provide pedestals to column . Can we avoid plinth beams if pedestals are provided. Kindly help me out. Please mention the clause showing these arguments too. Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Abishek_Siingh
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor


Joined: 18 Nov 2010
Posts: 610
Location: New Delhi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q1. Is this a steel building or RCC building?
Q2. When you say pedestal and plinth beam, it doesnt make sense, honestly. Could you upload some plans, elevations and sections?
Q3. First you tell me why plinth beams are required in any structure?
Q4. Is retrofitting something your government would be willing to do, if I provide you answers here (for free ).
Q5. Is this the Telengana state PWD project?

Abishek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
deepak talluri
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Abhishek,

Here are the answers for your questions
Q1. Is this a steel building or RCC building?

Its an RCC building.
Q2. When you say pedestal and plinth beam, it doesnt make sense, honestly. Could you upload some plans, elevations and sections?

I have the same doubt too. I find it to be sensless to copare both pedestals and plinth beams so i asked the same..
Q3. First you tell me why plinth beams are required in any structure?

Plinth beams are required to break the column heights and also to act like a tie . Structure acts like a single member and differential settlements can be avoided.
Q4. Is retrofitting something your government would be willing to do, if I provide you answers here (for free ).

Its not a retrofitting work. Its absolutely a new building

Q5. Is this the Telengana state PWD project?

Yes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 240
Location: Kannur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Plinth beam requirement for a building Reply with quote

Dear Deepak,

Is it in rock?


deepak talluri wrote:
Dear Sefians,
I am a practicing engineer from Government of Telangana. I got a critical case where initially we planned a structure with plinth beams and pedestals. But later , the site that was provided for the structure was very sloppy in nature. Hence we planned to convert ground floor as cellar for parking. But columns are executed till roof level without plinth beams. The height of columns from top of pedestal to bottom of roof beams is 4.20 m. The argument by the field staff is, plinth beams are not required if we provide pedestals to column . Can we avoid plinth beams if pedestals are provided. Kindly help me out. Please mention the clause showing these arguments too. Thank you
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deepak talluri
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Deepak,

Is it in rock?


No sir, its on gravel with an SBC of 20 kn/m2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 240
Location: Kannur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Deepak,

SBC 200kNm2  ??

If the structure is designed by providing Plinth beam, it is risky, column should be redesigned as per present condition for verification.

Also check the possibility of differential settlement before proceeding further



deepak talluri wrote:
Dear Deepak,

Is it in rock?


No sir, its on gravel with an SBC of 20 kn/m2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deepak talluri
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry sir,

Its typo. it is 20t/m2.
Yes sir, the columns are to be rechecked incorporating the present status but their argument is plinth beams are not required if we provide Pedestals. I was completely shocked with this argument. So, i posted here in SEFI. Kindly help.




Sudhakaran wrote:
Dear Er. Deepak,

SBC 200kNm2  ??

If the structure is designed by providing Plinth beam, it is risky, column should be redesigned as per present condition for verification.

Also check the possibility of differential settlement before proceeding further



deepak talluri wrote:
Dear Deepak,

Is it in rock?


No sir, its on gravel with an SBC of 20 kn/m2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 240
Location: Kannur

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Deepak,

The argument will be valid in some cases.

If the plinth beam provided only for the purpose of reducing the Unrestrained length of column and replacing with pedestal  will not effect the unrestrained length of the column


deepak talluri wrote:
Sorry sir,

Its typo. it is 20t/m2.
Yes sir, the columns are to be rechecked incorporating the present status but their argument is plinth beams are not required if we provide Pedestals. I was completely shocked with this argument. So, i posted here in SEFI. Kindly help.




Sudhakaran wrote:
Dear Er. Deepak,

SBC 200kNm2  ??

If the structure is designed by providing Plinth beam, it is risky, column should be redesigned as per present condition for verification.

Also check the possibility of differential settlement before proceeding further



deepak talluri wrote:
Dear Deepak,

Is it in rock?


No sir, its on gravel with an SBC of 20 kn/m2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
deepak talluri
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 22 Apr 2017
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sir,

Can u please elaborate your explanation. We have provided both pedestals and plinth beams in the earlier drawings. But they haven't executed them instead brought forward the argument.




Sudhakaran wrote:
Dear Er. Deepak,

The argument will be valid in some cases.

If the plinth beam provided only for the purpose of reducing the Unrestrained length of column and replacing with pedestal  will not effect the unrestrained length of the column


deepak talluri wrote:
Sorry sir,

Its typo. it is 20t/m2.
Yes sir, the columns are to be rechecked incorporating the present status but their argument is plinth beams are not required if we provide Pedestals. I was completely shocked with this argument. So, i posted here in SEFI. Kindly help.




Sudhakaran wrote:
Dear Er. Deepak,

SBC 200kNm2  ??

If the structure is designed by providing Plinth beam, it is risky, column should be redesigned as per present condition for verification.

Also check the possibility of differential settlement before proceeding further



deepak talluri wrote:
Dear Deepak,

Is it in rock?


No sir, its on gravel with an SBC of 20 kn/m2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sudhakaran
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 16 Jul 2013
Posts: 240
Location: Kannur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Deepak,

Can you please forward the detailed drawing of the particular portion(plinth beam and pedestal) and number of floors proposed.

deepak talluri wrote:
Dear sir,

Can u please elaborate your explanation. We have provided both pedestals and plinth beams in the earlier drawings. But they haven't executed them instead brought forward the argument.




Sudhakaran wrote:
Dear Er. Deepak,

The argument will be valid in some cases.

If the plinth beam provided only for the purpose of reducing the Unrestrained length of column and replacing with pedestal  will not effect the unrestrained length of the column


deepak talluri wrote:
Sorry sir,

Its typo. it is 20t/m2.
Yes sir, the columns are to be rechecked incorporating the present status but their argument is plinth beams are not required if we provide Pedestals. I was completely shocked with this argument. So, i posted here in SEFI. Kindly help.




Sudhakaran wrote:
Dear Er. Deepak,

SBC 200kNm2  ??

If the structure is designed by providing Plinth beam, it is risky, column should be redesigned as per present condition for verification.

Also check the possibility of differential settlement before proceeding further



deepak talluri wrote:
Dear Deepak,

Is it in rock?


No sir, its on gravel with an SBC of 20 kn/m2
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA, Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service. advertisement policy