www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Thermally insulated structural attachment.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhio

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Thermally insulated structural attachment. Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

I have to attach vertical fins to an existing vessel. The vessel being hot (150 deg. C), it is externally insulated. Hence, the fins will have to pass through the insulation to be connected to the vessel body. However, this will lead to the fins acting as heat sinks, which is not acceptable.

I would like to know of any product which could be used to provide a structural connection between the vessel and the fin while also providing a thermal break.

Looking forward to hearing from experts.

Thanks and regards,

A S Oundhakar
sakumar79

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
    Is it possible to continue the external insulation in the fins also? Will that solve the issue? Otherwise, could you give a sketch of the vessel and fin and the reason for the addition of the fin?

Yours sincerely
S Arunkumar
abhio

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Arunkumar Sir,

I had thought of extending the insulation, but that is working out to be complicated. I would prefer to use insulating washers. Could you recommend any suitable product?

Regards,

A S Oundhakar
sakumar79

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
    HILTI has a couple of Insulation Fasteners, but I dont think this is what you are looking at... As far as I can understand, you appear to require a means to connect the metal fin to the metal vessel without conducting heat from the vessel to the fin. Is that correct?

What kind of load transfer is there at the interface? If the loads are not high, I am just having a wild thought - can you weld the head of one bolt on vessel and head of another bolt on fin and connect the bolts with a non-conducting sleeve that is threaded at each end? and fitted with insulation material inside

Depends on temperature to be withstood and loads, etc this may or may not be feasible.

Yours sincerely
Arunkumar
nwalavalkar

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Fabreeka TIM Washer or equivalent. There are many fibreglas based products available in the market.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: