www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Construction Water Quality ( American and Indian Standards )

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Er.Ajith_K
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Construction Water Quality ( American and Indian Standards ) Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tested the bore water in my project for construction quality and it doesnt meet the required specification of Indian Standards (Table 1- Cl 5.4 in IS 456). I have 650 mg/l for chlorides and 860 mg/l for Organic solids.

But when I checked it with American Standards (ASTM C1620 Table 2_ I have attached it along with this post), it seems to meet the required specification.  Are Indian Standards are too conservative in water quality ?. Purchasing water from outside has some problem like cost of it will be higher during summer, we cant monitor the quality of it for each and each every tank etc,. Im not sure whether Im right about it, please correct if Im wrong.

Can I proceed with this bore water or should I need to purchase it from outside ?

Why I cant consider American standards ? Because our code books also take reference from other country standards.

With Regards

Ajith Karunanithi

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 12.50.19.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.77 KB
 Viewed:  44 Time(s)

skanagasundaram
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Construction Water Quality ( American and Indian Standards ) Reply with quote

Addition of neutralising chemicals commercially available may be tried, to bring in line with IS code.Good observation that US code is comparatively liberal.

Dr S. Kanagasundaram

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Er.Ajith_K <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Hi,

I have tested the bore water in my project for construction quality and it doesn’t meet the required specification of Indian Standards (Table 1- Cl 5.4 in IS 456). I have 650 mg/l for chlorides and 860 mg/l for Organic solids.

But when I checked it with American Standards (ASTM C1620 Table 2_ I have attached it along with this post), it seems to meet the required specification. Are Indian Standards are too conservative in water quality ?. Purchasing water from outside has some problem like cost of it will be higher during summer, we can’t monitor the quality of it for each and each every tank etc,. I’m not sure whether I’m right about it, please correct if I’m wrong.

Can I proceed with this bore water or should I need to purchase it from outside ?

Why I can’t consider American standards ? Because our code books also take reference from other country standards.

With Regards

Ajith Karunanithi

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
spsvasan

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Construction Water Quality ( American and Indian Standards ) Reply with quote

Dear Er.Ajith

The Indian Codes are generally conservative in comparison with US and UK Codes

This is probably because the average quality of construction in India is lower than the more advanced countries

Also, I believe that there is a strong lobby of calcium chloride manufacturers in USA who are interested in maintaining the sales volume of calcium chloride in additives. India is one of the few countries who have banned chlorides in admixtures.

I prefer to follow Indian Standards

Regards
S.P.Srinivasan

Er.Ajith_K wrote:
Hi,

I have tested the bore water in my project for construction quality and it doesnt meet the required specification of Indian Standards (Table 1- Cl 5.4 in IS 456). I have 650 mg/l for chlorides and 860 mg/l for Organic solids.

But when I checked it with American Standards (ASTM C1620 Table 2_ I have attached it along with this post), it seems to meet the required specification.  Are Indian Standards are too conservative in water quality ?. Purchasing water from outside has some problem like cost of it will be higher during summer, we cant monitor the quality of it for each and each every tank etc,. Im not sure whether Im right about it, please correct if Im wrong.

Why I cant consider American standards ? Because our code books also take reference from other country standards.

With Regards

Ajith Karunanithi
vijaya_vittal

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Construction Water Quality ( American and Indian Standards ) Reply with quote

Mr.Ajith,
The excess cholrides is not suitablefor RCC. We are facing a problem within five years for construction. Pl take care.

Regards.
H.N.Vijaya Vittal

On Tuesday, May 22, 2018, 9:15:49 AM GMT+5:30, skanagasundaram <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:

Addition of neutralising chemicals commercially available may be tried, to bring in line with IS code.Good observation that US code is comparatively liberal.

Dr S. Kanagasundaram

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 1:17 PM, Er.Ajith_K forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
      --auto removed--

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: