www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Vertical Deformation of Columns in Construction Sequence Analysis

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akshay.pardeshi93@gmail.c
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Vertical Deformation of Columns in Construction Sequence Analysis Reply with quote

Dear all,

After doing construction sequence analysis (stagged construction analysis) to high rise building in ETABs I am getting vertical joint displacement of intermediate columns more than the top and bottom columns. Logically it should be increasing from bottom to top cummulatively. I am unable to understand why it is happening like that so Can anybody help me into this?

Thanks and Regards
Akshay Pardeshi
ANIKET TOLANI
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Vertical Deformation of Columns in Construction Sequence Analysis Reply with quote

Dear Akshay Pardeshi,

This is because at the bottom levels P(Load) is more and L( length of Column) is less in value. Also on the top levels the value of P(load) is small and the value of L( length of Column) is more
So the Value of PL/AE is almost the same on bottom levels and top levels.

Whereas at mid height of building both P and L have a significant value, which makes PL/AE more than that on bottom and top levels.

If you plot a graph, the curve is a parabolic curve, with maximum value at centre and minimum at top and bottom.

akshay.pardeshi93@gmail.c
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Aniket Tolani

Thank you for your valuable response. But need more clarification.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
If length of each column is same at each floor thoughout its height, cross section of column is also uniform throughout its height(Area is constant), E is also constant then vertical deformation of column(dL) is only depend on axial load (dL=PL/AE). Load coming on column at final stage is increasing from top to bottom (from top floor to ground floor) but still deformation is more at intermediate level only campare to top and bottom columns!

Thanks and Regards
Akshay Pardeshi
ANIKET TOLANI
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Vertical Deformation of Columns in Construction Sequence Analysis Reply with quote

Dear Aditya Pardeshi

In the formula dl=PL/AE, Area of c/s and Modulus of elasticity, E, may be kept as constant but the Load at 'i'th story,P, and L,which is actually the height of column at 'i' level from base and not the floor to floor length of Column are not constant.
Even while calculating drift and deflection, we consider total height of building and not of individual level, as it'll give us absolute results irrespective of story above and below.
Also the deflections are cumulative and dependent on story above and below specifications.

I would like to suggest  ETABS TUTORIAL-23, the online video available in ETABS help.( Available on YouTube also)
This will help you cleac your doubts.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: