www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Minimum Design Earthquake Horizontal Lateral Force in Table 7 in IS 1893-2016

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohammad Jinya
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Minimum Design Earthquake Horizontal Lateral Force in Table 7 in IS 1893-2016 Reply with quote

Dear sefians,
I am not understand regarding in percent as given in Minimum Design Earthquake Horizontal Lateral Force in Table 7 in IS 1893-2016.
Please help me for better understand.

Thank you.
ychodneker
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Min Eq design force as per IS 1893:2015 Reply with quote

Even I have same question. Please can help understand this term.
sakumar79

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
    The base shear is calculated as Ah. W. The minimum value of Ah is given as a percentage in the mentioned table. For example, Ah should not be less than 0.7% or 0.007 in Zone II.

For example,
Consider Z=.1 (Zone II), I=1, R=5. If Time Period is long, Sa/g may be around 0.5. Then, Ah will be .1/2 x 1/5 x 0.5 = 0.005 - In such a case, we should take it as 0.007 instead.

Hope that helps.

Yours sincerely
Arunkumar
FARA
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sakumar79 wrote:
Dear Sir,
    The base shear is calculated as Ah. W. The minimum value of Ah is given as a percentage in the mentioned table. For example, Ah should not be less than 0.7% or 0.007 in Zone II.

For example,
Consider Z=.1 (Zone II), I=1, R=5. If Time Period is long, Sa/g may be around 0.5. Then, Ah will be .1/2 x 1/5 x 0.5 = 0.005 - In such a case, we should take it as 0.007 instead.

Hope that helps.

Yours sincerely
Arunkumar

Dear Sir,

How to enhance from 0.005 to 0.007 in ETABS ?
What procedure shall be adopted to care of this.
sakumar79

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
    I think the simplest way is to change I value so that Ah gets boosted to the required minimum. For example, in the above case, Ah has to be boosted from 0.005 to 0.007 (40%). Hence, if I is revised from 1 to 1.4, the minimum Ah will get applied automatically.
   Another alternative is to adjust the load factor in EQ load combinations but this will be more tedious.

Other experienced engineers with simpler or better ideas may please give their views also.

Yours sincerely
S Arunkumar
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: