www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Regarding a speech

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shivakumar sm
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Regarding a speech Reply with quote

Good morning ladays and gentlemen.Iam a structural consultant from past 16 yrs practing the designs.
 I need to present the importance of structural engineering for about 12 min  in a public platform were all the type of business man's, vendor's.common people will be presented.
Kindly  suggest me the points that I need to highlight.

Thank you all.

On Sat 1 Sep, 2018, 11:06 PM kunalkansara, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear Subhash

I'm not sure on what extent the building detailing is deficient. Steel plating is not a bad idea per say, but it is not as simple as it sounds. I hope I'm wrong, but it seems your client is taking the issue a bit too casually. Also, the strengthening design needs to be carried out (and of course independently vetted) by the experienced engineers with specific training, knowledge and expertise in structural strengthening.

Haphazard strengthening can be dangerous. For example, a beam strengthened for flexure has increased risk of failing under shear. So often such beams needs to be strengthened in shear complimentarily even if they were originally not deficient in shear. Steel plating could be effective in flexural strengthening, but their effectiveness in shear is questionable.

It also depends on the strength of concrete and possibility of effectively attaching steel plates on the beams. Often the steel plates needs to be bolted into the soffits, so it is partially intrusive method.

The use of FRP for such applications is way more effective and appropriate than steel plating.

Im accessing this website through phone as I'm on vacation at the moment, so can't write details on how to design for strengthening. But if you wish, please send the details of the structure and I might be able to help you with the design.

Kind regards
Kunal

Posted via Email
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: English Improvement Required Reply with quote

Dear Engineer
Advised to improve your command on English language first
Better learn Translation & Grammar, prior to exposing yourself to community/world

Corrections
Good morning ladays (ladies)and gentlemen. I am a structural consultant from past (for) 16 yrs practing (practicing) the Engineering designs.

I need to present the importance of structural engineering for about  around 12 min  in at a public platform, were where all the type of business man's business related vendors, vendor's.common people will be presented shall form or constitute audience.
Kindly , suggest me the relevant points that I need to highlight.
kunalkansara
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Shivkumar

I suppose you can demonstrate the importance of structural engineering through the examples of a few selected failures backed by the engineering reasoning that attributed these failures. In India, we are not new to failures and loss of life due to them. So, I suppose an articulated story woven around some selected failures, with the reasoning explained in simple and lucid words, should be interesting to the audiences of all variety. You can also highlight the importance and the acute need of having an Engineers' Bill in India and the absolute essentiality of having a systematic and comprehensive format for assigning professional qualifications, which are legally backed the Engineers' Bill.

Albeit, structural engineering is a vast field, and there can be more than one approach to showcase its importance.

As Er Suraj Singhji has mentioned, the use of language correctly and professionally is important, which will help your audiences to connect with your talk better and you will be able to communicate your message without confusion. However, the content is of greater importance over the use of language - you can even try Hindi or the regional language if you and your audiences are comfortable with that.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Kunal
suraj
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Seminars Reply with quote

I agree with Eng Kunal Kansara's views, related to use of language, other than English, if permissible
But, I am sure that for us, English is most easy & communicable language than other regional or Hindi language
How many of us do know our mother tongue professionally?
I do not think that we know ourselves!!!
And, I am also,sure that ours people know English writing in a better way than even English people
We can speak & write English professionally, if little interest is involved
It is unfortunate that current generation has no Will to improve English as a professional language
Internet use has spoiled English to a higher degree of damage
Translation into English & Grammar have been condoned, while producing English writing or speaking
I am not an advocate of English language, but we have developed our background in English only, which may or may not be good
We have been living with English in our professions
Hindi/Devnagri & other non English languages are too difficult to handle with
Communication would happen positive & impressive only, if too much time is involved or else, it shall be called a lay man's work
Seminar cannot be conducted without making proper use of communicative language, howsoever impressive presentation would be,it would fail otherwise

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: