www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

How to find roof stability of old building?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravikumar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Hi to all Structural Engineers, Actually I Have one problem in my project, In one of the old Government building ( No reinforcement details available ) only geometrical details we have and concrete strength found by both rebound and UPV test, now the doubt is, they want to erect a solar panel at the roof, but due to that additional load (solar panel  ) , To give clearance to that solar power  project, I have to find deflection of roof or stability check ,How to find the deflection calculation of roof( both one way and two way slab is there ) without knowing reinforcement details ,( Orally the people are saying that in slab they used 12,10 mm dai bars in slab, don't know the spacing details ).
Please suggest some textbook or method, To find deflection of the roof with know values ( geometrical property ), without reinforcement details.
syed_A

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Engineer
Load test is to be done to check the deflection of slab carried out by the Geo technical  Lab

Regards
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, the strength of the slab to sustain the load from the solar panels is of primary concern. You can find the distributed load from the structure coming on the slab, from the manufacturers. If it is less than the design load (LL), then it is safe, provided there is no visible distress to the old slab. The strength of the concrete is already evaluated by you. We may hope that being a Govt building, proper structural design might have been carried out, as per Codes.

E S Jayakumar
jai1231
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Assume minimum reinforcement and then you can check.

On Fri 26 Oct, 2018, 15:38 Ravikumar, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Hi to all Structural Engineers, Actually I Have one problem in my project, In one of the old Government building ( No reinforcement details available ) only geometrical details we have and concrete strength found by both rebound and UPV test, now the doubt is, they want to erect a solar panel at the roof, but due to that additional load (solar panel ) , To give clearance to that solar power project, I have to find deflection of roof or stability check ,How to find the deflection calculation of roof( both one way and two way slab is there ) without knowing reinforcement details ,( Orally the people are saying that in slab they used 12,10 mm dai bars in slab, don't know the spacing details ).
Please suggest some textbook or method, To find deflection of the roof with know values ( geometrical property ), without reinforcement details.

Posted via Email
kedar_kavathekar
Bronze Sponsor
Bronze Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

I think you can find deflection slab/s by Load Test Method. We have used this  method to find out actual deflection in slabs by sampling method. We also don't have RCC details for the building.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Hi to all Structural Engineers, Actually I Have one problem in my project, In one of the old Government building ( No reinforcement details available ) only geometrical details we have and concrete strength found by both rebound and UPV test, now the doubt is, they want to erect a solar panel at the roof, but due to that additional load (solar panel ) , To give clearance to that solar power project, I have to find deflection of roof or stability check ,How to find the deflection calculation of roof( both one way and two way slab is there ) without knowing reinforcement details ,( Orally the people are saying that in slab they used 12,10 mm dai bars in slab, don't know the spacing details ).

Posted via Email
sktrisal
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Find the load carrying capacity by an actual load test.Solar panel do not have much dead load but you have to secure them against wind load so the geographical location is important.the wind load effect in my view is most important.i have seen these panels being dragged and twisted by wind load
Sktrisal

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 15:38 Ravikumar, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:

Posted via Email
sunil sodhai
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

if no data is available or it is not possible to calculate strength of structure you have to be practical that mean similar kind of building in that area or with same condition you have to make observations as many as possible then take right decision 

On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 14:12 sktrisal, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

[quote]            Find the load carrying capacity by an actual load test.Solar panel do not have much dead load but you have to secure them against wind load so the geographical location is important.the wind load effect in my view is most important.i have seen these panels being dragged and twisted by wind load
Sktrisal

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018, 15:38 Ravikumar, forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
RAJEEVAN
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Dear sir,Deflection test as per IS 456 is the right method. Provide supports and centering and fix deflectometers and check the allowable parameter as per code.
You can use sand bags or Bricks uniformly loaded or ingots.Long back I have done one such test for a factory building in SOUTH INDIA VISCOSE which was damaged in a fire(20Ton staple fibre unit) under the guidance of Late Prof Dr.R.J.Gopalakrishnan - former Founder HOD of Coimbatore Institute of Technology.

Regards

Rajeevan- sefian

On 27 Oct 2018 14:14, "kedar_kavathekar" <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:[quote]            I think you can find deflection slab/s by Load Test Method. We have used this  method to find out actual deflection in slabs by sampling method. We also don't have RCC details for the building.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Abhishek Sharma
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

Dear sir just check the column reinforcement and concrete, in short if you know the load carrying capacity of columns you can erect a steel structure to carry your additional load which transfer the load directly to the columns. So you don't need to calculate deflection neither of beams nor slabs

On Sat 27 Oct, 2018, 3:04 PM RAJEEVAN, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Dear sir,Deflection test as per IS 456 is the right method. Provide supports and centering and fix deflectometers and check the allowable parameter as per code.
You can use sand bags or Bricks uniformly loaded or ingots.Long back I have done one such test for a factory building in SOUTH INDIA VISCOSE which was damaged in a fire(20Ton staple fibre unit) under the guidance of Late Prof Dr.R.J.Gopalakrishnan - former Founder HOD of Coimbatore Institute of Technology.

Regards

Rajeevan- sefian

On 27 Oct 2018 14:14, "kedar_kavathekar" forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
Quote:
           I think you can find deflection slab/s by Load Test Method. We have used this  method to find out actual deflection in slabs by sampling method. We also don't have RCC details for the building.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org) (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Arun Kelkar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: How to find roof stability of old building? Reply with quote

What is the span of the slab?

On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 3:03 PM RAJEEVAN <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

[quote]            Dear sir,Deflection test as per IS 456 is the right method. Provide supports and centering and fix deflectometers and check the allowable parameter as per code.

Regards

Rajeevan- sefian

On 27 Oct 2018 14:14, "kedar_kavathekar" forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
Quote:

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 15:38, Ravikumar forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org) (forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: