www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Flanged Cruciform Sections

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ratnakishorerk
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Flanged Cruciform Sections Reply with quote

I am masters student working on Power plant Design where I found most of the columns used there were Flanged Cruciform I sections.

Can anyone please eludicate about these Flanged Cruciform Sections?

What is the major advantage of using Flanged Cruciform Sections (Plus Sections ) over Box Sections???

With Regards

V.V. Ratna Kishore
M.SED
CEPT University
Ahmedabad
Rudra Nevatia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ratna Kishore,

Flanged cruciform sections are used for providing moment resisting frames in orthogonal directions.

A better option is to use I sections for moment resisting frames in one direction and braced frames in the perpendicular direction.

Regards,
Rudra Nevatia
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope, for equal weight of the section, box sections will be more efficient as compression members compared to flanged cruciform sections, as the latter can be susceptible to torsional buckling.

E S Jayakumar
ratnakishorerk
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rudra Nevatia wrote:
Hi Ratna Kishore,

Flanged cruciform sections are used for providing moment resisting frames in orthogonal directions.

A better option is to use I sections for moment resisting frames in one direction and braced frames in the perpendicular direction.

Regards,
Rudra Nevatia

Respected Mr.Rudra Nevatia ,

Thank you for your  reply!

I just wanted to know more about these sections ! I gone through the internet and referred some papers but I did'nt got the actual design or bahaviour regarding those sections of my level .Can I get any structural behaviour / design references of those cruciform sections if available!

With Regards
V.V.Ratna Kishore
M.SED
CEPT University
ratnakishorerk
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
I hope, for equal weight of the section, box sections will be more efficient as compression members compared to flanged cruciform sections, as the latter can be susceptible to torsional buckling.

E S Jayakumar

Respected Mr. E S Jayakumar

Thank you for your reply!

Yes the same thing I also intended to say then for seeking  the advantage of flanged cruciform sections over box sections!

Also I think the flanged cruciforms will be having greater structural properties compared to plain cruciforms.

Here I am attaching the experimental research paper which will give us a keen idea about that!!

Also If possible I request you to suggest any references regarding design and structural behaviour of these type of sections!!
Please correct me if I went wrong anywhere!

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Strength Comparision of Flanged & Plain Cruciform Sections.pdf
 Description:
Structural properties compartive study between Plain and flanged cruciforms.

Download
 Filename:  Strength Comparision of Flanged & Plain Cruciform Sections.pdf
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Downloaded:  36 Time(s)

es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er. Kishore,
You said :
"Also I think the flanged cruciforms will be having greater structural properties compared to plain cruciforms"
Yes, by virtue of increased distribution of mass (in flanges) away from the neutral axes, which boosts the moment of inertia.
I hope you can design this section as compression member using the properties of buckling class-C, like any other built-up sections.

E S Jayakumar

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: