www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

AUTHORS @ SEFI - A weekly Essay Series about author luminaries at SEFI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Authors at SEFI- Er J D Buch Reply with quote

Dear Er. Alpa,

Thank you for the details of Er Buch, who is a senior engineer having rare experiences. His books are unique. I have a copy of his book on Design of Cement Plant Structures.

We wish Er Buch best of luck, good health, and happy retired life.

Warm regards
Subramanian

sefi_admin wrote:
Dear All:

Greetings for 2020.
In the new year we recommnence our  series "Authors at SEFI"

It is our delight to introduce our senior SEFI member Mr J D Buch. Those of you who have been involved in industrial design must have heard about his eminent and much respected designer.

Mr Buch was kind enough to share details of his work and with his permission, I am enumerating it as under:

From the pen of Er J D Buch..

The object of my writing books and articles in engineering magazines is to share my experience and fulfil the need for practical design books.
List of my publications of books and technical papers is given in the attachment.

These publications are results of my structural and project management experience of over 35 years. Projects on which I was Lead Engineer of the design team include industrial plants, tall towers, high-rise office and bank buildings, hotels, educational institutions, townships, aircraft hangars, etc.

Most of the design examples in my book are of the existing structures on which I was associated on designs and implementation. Staad input listing for different load cases and detailing are also given.

Briefly reasons to choose a particular subject for writing the book are as under:

1.   Design of Cement Plant Structures:

From 1965 to 1985, we were consultants for eight cement plants (600- tpd to 2200 tpd single kiln). For any industrial plant, it is necessary for structural designer to know the basic process flow and functioning of all major equipment. Cement plant operates all the year round and has special requirements on consideration of jamming of materials, ovalling of kiln due to high heat, abrasive nature of clinker, loads due to continuously operating grab cranes (in earlier plants). In spite of advancement in knowledge of material pressure, failures of cement silos are still not uncommon. As such design cannot be based only on codes, given loads by equipment suppliers and soil parameters supplied by the soil-investigation consultants.

During the first plant, we took disproportionate time, in establishing design parameters of various materials (Density, angle of internal friction, heat, abrasion, etc) and understanding functioning of equipment in the process.

As we progressed with more experience, I presented papers at the Cement Research Institute (later called National Council for Cement and Building Research), near Delhi. Ultimately, this resulted in my writing this book. This book would serve as a single reference to the design structural engineer.

When we did our first Caustic Soda Plant (1962), we referred to a similar book by Vakil of Dhrangadhra Chemicals. I do not know if this book is still available.

2. Advanced Structural Design  CAD Examples:

In mid-sixties, consulting engineers extensively referred Benson's book for design of industrial structures. Since then, due to industrial development there has been a rapid change, requiring different types of large structure. This book fulfils that need with the design examples of structure listed in the attachment.  

*Cyril S. Benson: "Advanced Structural Design", B. T. Batsford Ltd, London; First published in 1959.

3.  High-rise Buildings  Design Example of a 110-storey Building

Very tall buildings always intrigued me. I wondered what magnitude of loads would be there in such buildings. Then in 1973, my ex-colleague late Dr. Sujit Majumder and I had privilege to listen to two hour spell-binding lecture by Dr. Fazlur Khan at a conference in Delhi. He presented his paper on development of new structural systems for ultra-high-rise buildings with illustrations on slides. Sears Tower was designed by him at that time. Later I came across a publication by National Council of Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, where many of the tall buildings are documented.

This resulted in my writing the book on High-rise Buildings.  

We again met Dr. Fazlur Khan at a conference in Bangkok, where we presented a paper (1974).

4. Advanced Structural Design II:

Over last few decades, shell structures covering large column-free areas are constructed. Due to such large spans and thinner shells, the problem of non-linear buckling of shells has grown in importance.  

This book is continuation of my earlier book "Advanced Structural Design" and covers topics listed in the  annexure.

We hope you get a chance to look at some of these books!!

best regards,
Alpa

Posted via Email
mainak.mallik
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: " "AUTHORS" "@" "SEFI" "-" "A" "weekly" "Essay" "Series" "about" "author" "luminaries" "at" "SEFI Reply with quote

Dear Sir, How to get those books?  May I have the publication details? 
Regards, 
Mainak Mallik 

Posted via Email
TAPESH GUPTA
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: #Steel for Green - Tu Reply with quote

Dear Sefian,

A good initiative " Steel for Green" has been taken by Ministry of Steel, so taking it forward,  Me & My company want organize meet for Structure/Civil Engineers 

Agenda of the meet to increase the usage of structural steel in residential & commercial buildings along with industrial shed.

What infrastructure is required to meet such challenges.

We are planning to organized such meetings throughout India & Looking support from your side.

Kindly help me out to organized such meet.

Regards 
Tapesh Gupta
Apl Apollo Tubes Pvt. Ltd
9811977433/9205989246

Posted via Email
jdbuch
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: AUTHORS @ SEFI - A weekly Essay Series about author luminaries at SEFI Reply with quote

Dear Manik,Thanks for your interest in my publications. Details of each book is given the attachment to the Essay Series. If you need more details, can you write to me with your contact?E-mail: jdbuch@rediffmail.comM: +91 98243 40191RegardsJ.D.Buch

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: