www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

 Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

STAAD Input file Creator for PEB Frames as per IS codes (OPEN Source)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: STAAD Input file Creator for PEB Frames as per IS codes (OPEN Source) Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I am a civil engineer and a programmer.

I intend to start a Topic (it can become sticky once Admin deems fit) to create a STAAD Input file for a simple BOX Building of a PEB Frame.

The issue is, it takes a lot of time doing it manually the Load calculations and write its Load combinations.

we can write a simple program which will Take
     (frame parameters)
   1. Eave Height, Width, SW Bay width EW bay Width, Block wall Ht

   2. Load Parameter
       Wind speed, all basic params required for calculating the Wind     
     pressures as per IS code.

     Crane Loads  (in Phase 2 of the program)

Taking the above data (it takes less than 2 mts for input),
once the user clicks OK it will generate a STAAD input file,

using the above input file as BASE, the user can play around by splitting the rafters adding interior columns etc (those are much easier to edit in STAAD editor)


I intend to make this an OPEN Source
   Language  C#,
   Compiler  Visual Studio Community version (it is free for Open Source
             programmers)
    Repository  Source Forge  with Tortoise SVN  or
                     GTN Hub  (need to take a vote on this)

    Code        design IS 800 (LSD) & IS 875 (wind load & load
             combinations)

             In future it will be expanded to MBMA code

What Help I require from community

   1. for starters few  STAAD input files for a PEB frame to be designed as per IS code & Load combinations

   2.  Simple documentation for load calculations & Load combinations
   3.  Any Helpers in coding (though not must, but help will be welcome)
   4.  Testers (actual PEB designers in India)


Admin, please help us if this project takes off perhaps you need to Move this Sticky area (more than Open source Topic that already exists but not many contributors in that area as many do not see it)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Surya Singh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 29 May 2016
Posts: 6
Location: Noida

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: STAAD Input file Creator for PEB Frames as per IS codes (OPEN Source) Reply with quote

Hi ,This is a valuable suggestion , already many files exists in excel which generate staad input once you input all the relevant data in source sheet , all the best.


On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 3:10 PM someshwar ganti <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Gentlemen,

I am a civil engineer and a programmer.

I intend to start a Topic (it can become sticky once Admin deems fit) to create a STAAD Input file for a simple BOX Building of a PEB Frame.

The issue is, it takes a lot of time doing it manually the Load calculations and write its Load combinations.

we can write a simple program which will Take
     (frame parameters)
1. Eave Height, Width, SW Bay width EW bay Width, Block wall Ht

2. Load Parameter
      Wind speed, all basic params required for calculating the Wind     
     pressures as per IS code.

     Crane Loads (in Phase 2 of the program)

Taking the above data (it takes less than 2 mts for input),
once the user clicks OK it will generate a STAAD input file,

using the above input file as BASE, the user can play around by splitting the rafters adding interior columns etc (those are much easier to edit in STAAD editor)


I intend to make this an OPEN Source
Language C#,
Compiler Visual Studio Community version (it is free for Open Source
           programmers)
Repository Source Forge with Tortoise SVN or
                     GTN Hub (need to take a vote on this)

Code      design IS 800 (LSD) & IS 875 (wind load & load
           combinations)

           In future it will be expanded to MBMA code

What Help I require from community

1. for starters few STAAD input files for a PEB frame to be designed as per IS code & Load combinations

2. Simple documentation for load calculations & Load combinations
3. Any Helpers in coding (though not must, but help will be welcome)
4. Testers (actual PEB designers in India)


Admin, please help us if this project takes off perhaps you need to Move this Sticky area (more than Open source Topic that already exists but not many contributors in that area as many do not see it)
     



     


Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
harsh_patel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 26 Oct 2016
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think VBA for Excel will be much more helpful and user friendly for programming and OpenSTAAD will be very helpful for that purpose.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SandipAM
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi someshwar,
Your idea of atomisation is good but Engineers generally used to work in Excel or VBA. It will be great if you could do it in Excel VBA.

Thanks and regards,
Sandip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excel & VBA it is

to start with, I will create an XLS sheet to take the inputs and generate plane frame input file for STAAD.

However  I will require members help in Load calculations and combinations, for starters any STAAD Input file for a PEB Main frame as per Indian code loading and design parameters will help me

BTW :- I wanted to do in C# with future in mind, we can upgrade the program to do the Detailing drawings also which is very difficult in VBA (though not impossible)




SandipAM wrote:
Hi someshwar,
Your idea of atomisation is good but Engineers generally used to work in Excel or VBA. It will be great if you could do it in Excel VBA.

Thanks and regards,
Sandip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pradeep_hebbar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member


Joined: 26 May 2011
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daer Mr.Someshwar,

As far as STAAD file is concerned, the structure geometry is based on architectural inputs. In some situations the geometry may need some special requirements like canopy extensions, openings, special shapes  etc. which cannot be given as parametric input. Often the geometry is drawn in AutoCAD (or its equivalent) and imported to STAAD in DXF format. Kindly include this option too.

Ouput drawings can be generated in DXF format which can be opened across all CAD softwares. Alternatively, a script file (.scr) can be generated which can be run inside AutoCAD environment.

Earlier days, AutoCAD VBA was very helpful. However, now it is not part of the core AutoCAD. Only available as add-on.

I have been working on such customization for 10 to 12 years. Let me know if you need any help from me.


Regards,

Pradeep Hebbar


someshwar ganti wrote:
Excel & VBA it is

to start with, I will create an XLS sheet to take the inputs and generate plane frame input file for STAAD.

However  I will require members help in Load calculations and combinations, for starters any STAAD Input file for a PEB Main frame as per Indian code loading and design parameters will help me

BTW :- I wanted to do in C# with future in mind, we can upgrade the program to do the Detailing drawings also which is very difficult in VBA (though not impossible)




SandipAM wrote:
Hi someshwar,
Your idea of atomisation is good but Engineers generally used to work in Excel or VBA. It will be great if you could do it in Excel VBA.

Thanks and regards,
Sandip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
N. Prabhakar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 25 Apr 2009
Posts: 459

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

I am giving here under a link to the YouTube video, developed by me, showing easy steps to convert Staad Output to Excel worksheet. The values in Excel worksheet can be used as inputs in Excel Spreadsheet programs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HDm-kddhOs

Trust the above information is useful to Excel users.

With best wishes,

N. Prabhakar
Chartered Structural Engineer
Vasai (E), Pin 401 208
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mr Pradeep
  1. It is not possible to write a generic program always most common cases are addressed to in programming 80-20 rule, for the non common cases manual editing has to be done.

  2. This is specifically for creating a STAAD input file for a PEB frame, to generate the frame geometry is very simple in STAAD, but the load calculation  and writing its combinations and design parameter is a volumetric job, we intend to reduce that job.

3. Regarding a DXF/SCRIPT file generation, I do not see the possibility in this program as detailing part is not addressed to in this program as of now, if it is so we need to re-work on the language of coding.



pradeep_hebbar wrote:
Daer Mr.Someshwar,

As far as STAAD file is concerned, the structure geometry is based on architectural inputs. In some situations the geometry may need some special requirements like canopy extensions, openings, special shapes  etc. which cannot be given as parametric input. Often the geometry is drawn in AutoCAD (or its equivalent) and imported to STAAD in DXF format. Kindly include this option too.

Ouput drawings can be generated in DXF format which can be opened across all CAD softwares. Alternatively, a script file (.scr) can be generated which can be run inside AutoCAD environment.

Earlier days, AutoCAD VBA was very helpful. However, now it is not part of the core AutoCAD. Only available as add-on.

I have been working on such customization for 10 to 12 years. Let me know if you need any help from me.


Regards,

Pradeep Hebbar


someshwar ganti wrote:
Excel & VBA it is

to start with, I will create an XLS sheet to take the inputs and generate plane frame input file for STAAD.

However  I will require members help in Load calculations and combinations, for starters any STAAD Input file for a PEB Main frame as per Indian code loading and design parameters will help me

BTW :- I wanted to do in C# with future in mind, we can upgrade the program to do the Detailing drawings also which is very difficult in VBA (though not impossible)




SandipAM wrote:
Hi someshwar,
Your idea of atomisation is good but Engineers generally used to work in Excel or VBA. It will be great if you could do it in Excel VBA.

Thanks and regards,
Sandip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,


as I did not get any response for a sample STAAD file for a PEB frame, I created a simple frame as per IS code loading and LSD design

find attached the file,

I have few questions what are the design parameters to be given (KX, KY etc)

I fail to understand why a member  (5) is failing but member 6 & 113 are passing even though they are similar, I just split the big member into 2 smaller member and the design fails

(I tried lot of combinations but still the longer member fails )

if someone can educate me what are the parameters to be applied as per IS CODE I will finish the program and upload the same.

Also please check if the load combinations are right


Please help me in this issue, I will finish the code ASAP.



Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
PEB FRAME WITH SINGLE RAFTER (as per IS 875 Part 3 and LSD load combination).rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PEB FRAME WITH SINGLE RAFTER (as per IS 875 Part 3 and LSD load combination).rar
 Filesize:  2.5 KB
 Downloaded:  80 Time(s)

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 06 Feb 2010
Posts: 71

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen
I managed to correct the staad input file by changing the design parameters.

find attached the corrected file.

I will now work on automating the generation of the input file using excel & OpenSTAAD Marcos



Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
PEB FRAME WITH SINGLE RAFTER (as per IS 875 Part 3 and LSD load combination).rar
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  PEB FRAME WITH SINGLE RAFTER (as per IS 875 Part 3 and LSD load combination).rar
 Filesize:  2.47 KB
 Downloaded:  98 Time(s)

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA, Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service. advertisement policy