www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Opinion on Floating Column Resting Beam/Girder

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Er.Ajith_K
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:23 pm    Post subject: Opinion on Floating Column Resting Beam/Girder Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have doubt regarding girder for resting floating column. I need members opinion on it. I have attached image of the column layout and beam details what my structural engineer has given me in this post for your reference.

My friend who is a structural engineer and me had an argument that he suggested me to use full length reinforcement for positive curtailment (Second Layer). I told if I do that then my steel quantity will increase and it will add up my cost.

Beam (where floating Column going rest) :- 450mm x 600mm

Supporting Column :- 300mm x 450mm

Clear Span: 6 metre

Beam top Reinforcement : #3-25Y & #2- 20Y

Beam Bottom Reinforcement:

Layer 1 (Full Length) - #5-20Y

Layer 2 (Curtailment) - #4-25Y & #1-20Y and two bent up bars of 16mm where floating column going to rest.

The Beam and column are actually designed for Fe500 but we are using Fe550 due to availability & M20 grade concrete.

Building : G+3 Floors and (Ground Floor is full of car parking).

My Question:

1. Should I need to provide full length reinforcement for Layer 2 (Curtailment) or shall i go with design given by my structural engineer ?

2.Kindly view the column Layout and share your opinion, where one side of beam will be  150mm away from due to dimension and orientation ?

With Regards

Ajith

Beam Details.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.31 KB
 Viewed:  58 Time(s)

Beam Details.png

Column Layout.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.7 KB
 Viewed:  53 Time(s)

Column Layout.png

thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er.Ajith,
First of all the FLOATING COLUMNS are not acceptable in case of Seismic regions. Even if the seismic reign is it it is not a good structural option.

From the sketch it is seen that the position of floating column is in such a situation that it may cause torsion as well. I do not know if he accounted for it. Since full drawing or plan is not known it may be possible to avoid it by providing secondary beams etc.

But the Floating columns in many cases are standing since they are not yet subject to EQ forces.

T.Rangarajan
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: