www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

stiffness modifiers for beams and columns

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jagan0819

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: stiffness modifiers for beams and columns Reply with quote

hi sefians

i have analysed a framed structure with stiffness modifier-1 and for the same i have given stiffness modifier(0.35 for beams & 0.7 for columns) and when i compare results ,,

1) the frame with stiffness modifier-1 ( moment in beam =58.6kn-m sagging and moment in column=45.7kn-m for upper storey)

2)the frame with stiffness modifier (0.35 for beam & 0.7 for column), the moment in beam sagging =49 kn-m and moment in column=48 kn-m for upper storey)

my doubt is that when stiffness is decreased for beam and column the moment also should get decreased but from above observation moment in beam got decreased(in sagging) and moment in column is increased (for upper storey)

could you please put some light on it

image was attached

regards

with stiffness modifier 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.85 KB
 Viewed:  158 Time(s)

with stiffness modifier 1.JPG

with stiffness modifier 0.3 & 0.7.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.03 KB
 Viewed:  167 Time(s)

with stiffness modifier 0.3 & 0.7.JPG

eswar_reddy
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jagan,

I understand your point. I will try to answer as clearly as possible.

Stiffness, by definition, it is the load per unit deformation. And at any frame joint, the moment distribution happens based on the relative stiffness of all the connecting members to that joint.

It is said that, the stiffness is decreased by you for both the column and beam. Let us go with an example:
Initial beam stiffness = 2 units
Initial column stiffness = 3 units
          here the relative stiffness factor for beam = 2/(2+3) =0.4
               relative stiffness factor for column = 3/(2+3) = 0.6
now I am reducing the stiffness of both by 1 unit as below

Final beam stiffness = 1 units
Final column stiffness = 2 units

here the relative stiffness factor for beam = 1/(2+1) =0.33
               relative stiffness factor for column = 2/(2+1) = 0.66

here you notice that the relative stiffness of column has increased and beam got decreased, though i decreased the stiffness of both the column and beam. This emphasizes us that, the column attracts more moment than that of the beam.

At this situation, you may notice, the beam sagging BM decreased as the fixity is comparatively increased at the joint.

Regards,
Eswar Reddy Rokalla
jagan0819

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:31 am    Post subject: thank u sir for ur response Reply with quote

eswar_reddy wrote:
Dear Jagan,

I understand your point. I will try to answer as clearly as possible.

Stiffness, by definition, it is the load per unit deformation. And at any frame joint, the moment distribution happens based on the relative stiffness of all the connecting members to that joint.

It is said that, the stiffness is decreased by you for both the column and beam. Let us go with an example:
Initial beam stiffness = 2 units
Initial column stiffness = 3 units
          here the relative stiffness factor for beam = 2/(2+3) =0.4
               relative stiffness factor for column = 3/(2+3) = 0.6
now I am reducing the stiffness of both by 1 unit as below

Final beam stiffness = 1 units
Final column stiffness = 2 units

here the relative stiffness factor for beam = 1/(2+1) =0.33
               relative stiffness factor for column = 2/(2+1) = 0.66

here you notice that the relative stiffness of column has increased and beam got decreased, though i decreased the stiffness of both the column and beam. This emphasizes us that, the column attracts more moment than that of the beam.

At this situation, you may notice, the beam sagging BM decreased as the fixity is comparatively increased at the joint.

Regards,
Eswar Reddy Rokalla
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: