www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Column Design in STAAD Pro.

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syaski
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Column Design in STAAD Pro. Reply with quote

Dear SEFIns,

This post is regd. column design in STAAD Pro. I have designed a G+4 residential building in STAAD for Dead Load and Live Load.
But I see column reinforcements are bit high, about 3.5% and more. In my previous projects I generally got it as around 2.5% with similar loading conditions. However, in present project loads are eccentric at few locations.
I checked model again, and it looks fine. And client is not happy with higher reinforcements.

Please need help on reducing can column reinforcements in STAAD. I mean, since results are obtained at center of beam column junction and is there any way to get design at face of beam.

Staad model is attached for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Swathi
Structural Engineer

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
G+4 Resindential Bldg_Staad Input.docx
 Description:
G+4 Residential Building STAAD file

Download
 Filename:  G+4 Resindential Bldg_Staad Input.docx
 Filesize:  17.01 KB
 Downloaded:  116 Time(s)

vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er
I think if end cols require higher reinf either increase the size or apply redistribution clause for gravity loadings only .  If internal cols,  then increase mix, or size of col. Moments at c/line can be reduced at col faces  . During manual design era we use to reduce based on CPWD design manual volume 1. Generally eq moments in cols were linearly reduced frrom cl to col faces , but how to manage in staad ,  needs to be discussed in forum

Vikram.jeet
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er
I think if end cols require higher reinf either increase the size or apply redistribution clause for gravity loadings only .  If internal cols,  then increase mix, or size of col. Moments at c/line can be reduced at col faces  . During manual design era we use to reduce based on CPWD design manual volume 1. Generally eq moments in cols were linearly reduced frrom cl to col faces , but how to manage in staad ,  needs to be discussed in forum

Vikram.jeet
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikram.jeet wrote:
Dear Er

Vikram.jeet

What a surprise! Welcome back Er Vikramjeet!

Warm regards
Subramanian
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear & Respected NS sir,
Though I was absent from sefi ( work requirements ), you and Varyani saheb always lived with me as a guiding force. I learnt lot from your postings. Also admire your continued participation on sefi to help budding engineers & veterans like me. Respected Varyani saheb remained in touch with me telephonically. Will try to visit sefi on regular basis ..

With kind regards

Vikramjeet
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Vikramjeet

Thank you for the kind words. Many engineers were benefitted by your comments,  which were always practice oriented. Happy to note that you have come back and looking for forward to reading your postings.

Warm regards
Subramanian

vikram.jeet wrote:
Dear & Respected NS sir,
Though I was absent from sefi ( work requirements ), you and Varyani saheb always lived with me as a guiding force. I learnt lot from your postings. Also admire your continued participation on sefi to help budding engineers & veterans like me. Respected Varyani saheb remained in touch with me telephonically. Will try to visit sefi on regular basis ..

With kind regards

Vikramjeet
B.V.Harsoda
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Vikramjeetji,
I am very happy to see your post after very long period of eight Years.
You are welcome back.
Hope that SEFI will get benefit of your knowledge & wide Experience continuous.

Regards,
Er. B. V Harsoda

vikram.jeet wrote:
Dear Er

Vikram.jeet
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er B V Harsoda saheb,
Yes, it is about eight years of absence  from my end , will try to be on sefi .  During this time I was associated with mostly Hydropower works requiring frequent visits to the projects ,not finding much time .
I admire your contribution on sefi on regular basis for  guiding engineers  .
With due regards
Vikramjeet
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: