www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Regarding Design of Plinth Beam
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yogesh101
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Regarding Design of Plinth Beam Reply with quote

Do we need to design plinth beam to its span? While designing a building in etabs, the r/f of plinth beam of 7m is very less even with minimum section size. So, i'm confused whether it should be designed according to its span or not.
hishamajmalpc
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you meant by 'design by its span'?
Yogesh101
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I meant was, we design the depth as span/(12-15). Do i need to do that for plinth beam?
hishamajmalpc
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

span/12 is for prliminary sizing of beam. You should check this depth for flexure,shear and deflection.
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding Design of Plinth Beam Reply with quote

Dear Er Yogesh

Plinth beams are normally supporting considerable height of brickwork and hence act as composite beams. Hence they need not be designed for the normal BM. In such cases, for normal spans of 3-4 m, we assume a depth of 150 mm to 200 mm only and design for a BM of Wl^2/30. See also the IS code on piles(I think it is IS 2911). Usually 2 nos 12 mm bars are provided at top and bottom

Best wishes
Subramanian
Yogesh101 wrote:
Do we need to design plinth beam to its span? While designing a building in etabs, the r/f of plinth beam of 7m is very less even with minimum section size. So, i'm confused whether it should be designed according to its span or not.
hishamajmalpc
Progressive Member
Progressive Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir,
Most of the cases there will be openings in wall (Doors/windows). Can we assume composite action in those cases?
Yogesh101
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Regarding Design of Plinth Beam Reply with quote

Thank You Sir, for your clarification. I got it.
Ujjwal
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Regarding Design of Plinth Beam Reply with quote

Dr. N. Subramanian wrote:
Dear Er Yogesh

Plinth beams are normally supporting considerable height of brickwork and hence act as composite beams. Hence they need not be designed for the normal BM. In such cases, for normal spans of 3-4 m, we assume a depth of 150 mm to 200 mm only and design for a BM of Wl^2/30. See also the IS code on piles(I think it is IS 2911). Usually 2 nos 12 mm bars are provided at top and bottom

Best wishes
Subramanian
Yogesh101 wrote:

The experience with 150 or 200 mm depth was not satisfactory as hundreds of buildings in expansive soil developed cracks in masonry. We ,therefore, provide depth and reinforcement considering the entire dead weight to be supported by the beam.
someshwar ganti
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that a Plinth beam cannot be designed as a Normal Continuous beam like that in a Roof beam.

1. the Plinth beam is Normally casted on a CRS masonry, which gives it support through out the length of the BEAM hence our normal BM equations will not really apply,  

Please note for a roof beam the wall is constructed much later hence normal equations apply.

Besides the Wall load on the plinth beam, most of the sites (especially factory sheds etc) will have tractors, tippers running on the some of the bays of the plinth beams, These beams survive only because there is a CRS wall supporting the beam through out.

hence in my opinion , design it as a normal beam because the construction loads on plinth beams (atleast in some bays ) is much higher than the wall load on the beams, in such a case the CRS support below the beam will prevent the deflection etc hence the failure.
Ujjwal
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someshwar ganti wrote:
I feel that a Plinth beam cannot be designed as a Normal Continuous beam like that in a Roof beam.

1. the Plinth beam is Normally casted on a CRS masonry, which gives it support through out the length of the BEAM hence our normal BM equations will not really apply,  

Please note for a roof beam the wall is constructed much later hence normal equations apply.

Besides the Wall load on the plinth beam, most of the sites (especially factory sheds etc) will have tractors, tippers running on the some of the bays of the plinth beams, These beams survive only because there is a CRS wall supporting the beam through out.

hence in my opinion , design it as a normal beam because the construction loads on plinth beams (atleast in some bays ) is much higher than the wall load on the beams, in such a case the CRS support below the beam will prevent the deflection etc hence the failure.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: