www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Roof Slab repair in my flat in an apartment : Urgent assistance required
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssen
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Urgent Roof Slab Repair in my flat in an apartment in Navi Mumbai Nerul Reply with quote

Hello Engineers!

I'm from Seawoods, Nerul, Navi Mumbai.

I have a flat in a society of 33 buildings (G+3) consisting of around 400 flats, built by central government agencies about 27-30 years ago, the warantee of which has expired as the residents have modified their flats.

However, the ceiling of my flat (and many others) is in a very bad condition. A portion of the ceiling of one room has fallen on its own (nobody is hurt). When we started the repairing work (with society's permission) it's found that the rods inside the ceiling are rusted badly. We feared that the whole ceiling will fall and stopped the work. You may check the photographs attached.

However, the society is dilly-dallying to appoint structural engineers to assess the situation and seek professional advices. In one of the other flats, you can see the upper flat through the ceiling--and it's like that since last 8 months or so, because of the society's indecision.

My query is, is it required to completely remove and redo the entire ceiling slab, involving the floor of upper flat? In case, the upper flat resident does not allow to do the work, and at the same time, society is also not able to appoint qualified structural engineers and start the work, what legal protection/action can I take? Is there any way to do something from inside our flat to stop the ceiling from falling (like, putting iron beams below the ceiling or of that sort).

It's a senior citizen's query who is completely a layman in this regard. Kindly help.

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....

received_698243461291395.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  64.61 KB
 Viewed:  124 Time(s)

received_1695249727485267.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.41 KB
 Viewed:  111 Time(s)

received_740184020470319.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.2 KB
 Viewed:  105 Time(s)

Pankaj Bhardwaj
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Urgent Help Needed Reply with quote

Hi 

I read your email and really feeling bad with what you are facing and therefore thought to reply.
I am bridge Engineer with more than 10 years of experience. I have few points on which you should think about.

1) your slab is cracked section, maybe because of poor construction and  less steel, no matter how much repair you do you cant make the benefit of uncracked section. That is the moment of inertia has reduced considerably.
2) you can see the steel, if possible get your steel spacing, steel dia and cover of concrete checked from the agency using as built design drawings.
3) you can not break the floor, the guy living at top will never allow for that, until and unless you move with strong legal support.
4) The best solution for this is GFRP/CFRP retrofitting. That will inrease the strength of slab equal to or even more than uncracked section. You need to consult structural engineers who do cfrp retrofitting.

Lets see what others think about this.

Thanks 

On Sun, 15 May 2022, 12:02 am ssen, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Hello Engineers!

I have a flat in a society of 33 buildings (G+3) consisting of around 400 flats, built by central government agencies about 27-30 years ago, the warantee of which has expired as the residents have modified their flats.

However, the ceiling of my flat (and many others) is in a very bad condition. A portion of the ceiling of one room has fallen on its own (nobody is hurt). When we started the repairing work (with society's permission) it's found that the rods inside the ceiling are rusted badly. We feared that the whole ceiling will fall and stopped the work. You may check the photographs attached.

However, the society is dilly-dallying to appoint structural engineers to assess the situation and seek professional advices. In one of the other flats, you can see the upper flat through the ceiling--and it's like that since last 8 months or so, because of the society's indecision.

My query is, is it required to completely remove and redo the entire ceiling slab, involving the floor of upper flat? In case, the upper flat resident does not allow to do the work, and at the same time, society is also not able to appoint qualified structural engineers and start the work, what legal protection/action can I take? Is there any way to do something from inside our flat to stop the ceiling from falling (like, putting iron beams below the ceiling or of that sort).

It's a senior citizen's query who is completely a layman in this regard. Kindly help.

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
Gaurav.verma
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Urgent Help Needed Reply with quote

First of all please move out immediately until the condition is assessed by a structural engineer who will inspect the other structural members like columns, beams and walls and try to convey the same message to other occupants of the building. The building may be giving early signs and not be safe at all to live. Regarding legal solution others members may suggest.

Regards  

On Sun, 15 May 2022 at 6:29 AM, ssen <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
Hello Engineers!

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....

Attachments:
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/files/received_698243461291395_153.jpeg
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/files/received_1695249727485267_402.jpeg
http://www.sefindia.org/forum/files/received_740184020470319_139.jpeg

Posted via Email
Arpit Parikh
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject: Urgent Help Needed Reply with quote

In these regard of query generated..
Structural accessement of buildings under registered practicing fellow is must. No authority can deny to do so.
If someone is objectionable , then local urban authorities must be informed regarding the situation.

As of now,,, in some of the cities .. alike Surat ... After careful consideration , buildings are vacated and demolished step by step by local authorities to avoid any mishaps. Or retrospective retrofitting should be done.

Looking to photos - retrofitting is highly desirable...

Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 4:29 PM
To: general@sefindia.org <general@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Urgent Help Needed  

Hello Engineers!

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
karthi2412
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Urgent Help Needed Reply with quote

Contact me

On Sun, May 15, 2022, 12:02 AM ssen <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Hello Engineers!

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
periakaruppan m
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Urgent Help Needed Reply with quote

U may immediately repair, cost may be recovered from the responsible person.

On Sun, May 15, 2022, 00:01 ssen <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           Hello Engineers!

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roof slab repairs

Reinf show corrosion from underside , reason seems ingress of rain water in roof slab conc which need to be sealed , Gola remade , waterproof treatment of roof

Loss of strength to be compensated by providing preferably 150x150mm sq pipe to be installed beneath roof  from one wall to opposite along short direction with its design strength check. In case fan/shendlier is at center then , two nos smaller sq steel pipes be provided in accordance with design dictate.

Plaster need to be removed and reinf to be cleaned with wire brush to remove rust . Thin wire mesh be nailed to ceiling  Use of a coat of epoxy be done prior to Plastering wth 1:3 cement coarse sand plaster to have rough ceiling surface .Further plaster be done in 1:3 Fine  sand to have smooth ceiling surface.

Roof treatment : Roof slope to be checked , at least 1:50
All Gola to be removed and new gola work done with Dr dixit
If bk tiled roof over mud khudka , the joints need to be redone with mortar and Dr.
Roof treatment is must as it is source of seepage/ leakage deteriorating reinf .

Being designer ,above instructions , but other engineers of site / execution may suggest better remedies.
Jeevan Patgaonkar
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Roof Slab repair in my flat in an apartment : Urgent assistance required Reply with quote

By providing I section, you can reduce the span and then repair with PMM 

On Sun, 15 May 2022 at 9:26 AM, Pankaj Bhardwaj <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

[quote]            Hi 

I read your email and really feeling bad with what you are facing and therefore thought to reply.
I am bridge Engineer with more than 10 years of experience. I have few points on which you should think about.

1) your slab is cracked section, maybe because of poor construction and  less steel, no matter how much repair you do you cant make the benefit of uncracked section. That is the moment of inertia has reduced considerably.
2) you can see the steel, if possible get your steel spacing, steel dia and cover of concrete checked from the agency using as built design drawings.
3) you can not break the floor, the guy living at top will never allow for that, until and unless you move with strong legal support.
4) The best solution for this is GFRP/CFRP retrofitting. That will inrease the strength of slab equal to or even more than uncracked section. You need to consult structural engineers who do cfrp retrofitting.

Thanks 

On Sun, 15 May 2022, 12:02 am ssen, forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
hemraj chanchal
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Roof Slab repair in my flat in an apartment : Urgent assistance required Reply with quote

Dear AllI think we can strengthen the slab by providing weld mesh with 50mm thick M:25 grade concrete.
Also agreed with Mr. Pankaj
Thanks & Regards
Hemraj Chanchal
Executive Director
hc construction & consulting engineers

On Sat, 14 May 2022 at 20:56, Pankaj Bhardwaj <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

[quote]            Hi 

Thanks 

On Sun, 15 May 2022, 12:02 am ssen, forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:

--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Arun Kumar Das
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

Dear All,

With immediate effect, vacate the flat as we can see in the photograph, concrete is spalling badly and rebars are excessively corroded.

Kindly appoint any rehab expert and take advice from him. In some other way,by applying corrosion resistant,  polymer mortar, one can bring this to its original condition provided the damages portion is limited as seen in photographs.

In my opinion, no need to dismantle it, kindly suggest if I am wrong.

On Sun, 15 May, 2022, 9:43 am Arpit Parikh, <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:

Quote:
           In these regard of query generated..
Structural accessement of buildings under registered practicing fellow is must. No authority can deny to do so.
If someone is objectionable , then local urban authorities must be informed regarding the situation.

As of now,,, in some of the cities .. alike Surat ... After careful consideration , buildings are vacated and demolished step by step by local authorities to avoid any mishaps. Or retrospective retrofitting should be done.

Looking to photos - retrofitting is highly desirable...

Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2022 4:29 PM
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)
Subject: [SEFI] Urgent Help Needed

Hello Engineers!

Thanks in advance...

Best regards....

Download Attachments:

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: