www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Load Combinations as per IS-456:2000

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ramu_se

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:03 am    Post subject: Load Combinations as per IS-456:2000 Reply with quote

Dear All,

While analyzing the structure in Etabs, we need to add the load combinations.
As per IS-456:2000, Table-18 load combinations are given for limit state of collapse as well as limit state of serviceability.

Do we need to apply both load combinations or only limit state of collapse?

Kindly provide your guidance.

Thanks & Regards,
Ramu.
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er Ramu

Please pardon me for replying to yr queries,   mostly ,as  raised by u time to time , generally I await to have more participations from other members to have wider viewpoint  , but now a days   , very few on sefi provide  response to queries This is understandable for working structural designers who are hard pressed for job commitments  , but retired ones can always spare time . Of late it is seen that old doctors are very busy with more patients around them and similar is the case in structural profession.

Here on sefi , I admire our P engg Sh Suraj saheb for sparing time for  sefi on almost daily basis. I also try to respond based on best of my knowledge  but to have a wider view point on certain Civil / str engg issues , more participation is necessary .

As regards yr  query  , it is better to include load combination ( 1.0 DL + 1.0 LL ) also which can help in deflection check . Also column loads and moments at foundations are available for foundation area requirements based on net s b c .
satishkemkar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS 875 Part5 is describing unfactored load combinations in detail.
this include Temperature as well.

This code is 1987 edition and should be updated . Adding factored loads.  Load combinations for second order analysis like push over analysis should be included in it.
pvgraju

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Load Combinations as per IS-456:2000 Reply with quote

Dear Sir,

Limit state of collapse load combinations for strength check
Limit state of serviceability(unfactored) load combinations are for deflection check,foundation design.
For better understanding refer IS-3370-part-2 load combinations also which are modified load combinations. But this is for liquid retaining structures.

Regards,

P.V.Gavarraju.
ramu_se

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.
ramu_se

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Vikram Sir,

Thank you for answering all my questions and for the clear explanation.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: