www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Developing Software for Design of L/T Column

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2006
View previous topic :: View next topic  
perwez at lntecc.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Developing Software for Design of L/T Column Reply with quote

Dear All

Greetings!

Thank you all for your kind help.

But please note that I want to develop software for design of L/T columns. So I don’t want to use ETABS/STRUDS or any other software for the design. At the same time design charts like SN Sinha's hand book also will not help directly in developing software.

I'm having some queries also like

1. To decide column is short or long, what shud be the criteria. For rectangular it is L/D=12, in term or L/r=40, Should we use 40 or we should use ACI guidance i.e. 22 for unbraced and 34 for braced.

2. For biaxial checking, code has given formula of alpha-n based on axial load level. Is same value valid for non-rectangular section. Bcos given alpha-n is approximate (empirical) value, may be valid for symmetric shape only.

I'll be waiting for reference of books and journals related to L/T column design and your point of view on above queries.

Regards and thanks

Perwez Ahmad

============================================================

Dear SEFIans

Wish you very happy day!

I need your help regarding design of L-shape & T-shape concrete column as

per Indian codes.

You can help me in the following way:

ï'§          Please provide me name of the book, author and publisher

related to L-shape & T-shape concrete column.

ï'§          Any paper dealing to above mentioned topic, journalâ€?s name

and month/year of publications.

ï'§          Any website related to it.

ï'§          Kindly send me any material/literature you are having.

With warm regards

Perwez Ahmad

DISCLAIMER:
This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T ECC.If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC DIVISION

Posted via Email
Rudra Nevatia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Developing Software for Design of L/T Column Reply with quote

Dear Perwez,

I do not mean to discourage you but developing software for design of L/T columns is by no means an easy task.

To begin with, alpha-n type of approximation is not valid for non-rectangular sections so you have to resort to first principles - determine location and orientation of neutral axis which will, in general, be at an angle to the direction of applied moment. So you have to iterate both for its depth and orientation.

The process of iteration involves area integration of parabolic stress block. One brute force method to achieve this is to sub-divide the domain into small elements.

I was able to develop a software for design of arbitrarily shaped columns in 1997, the dos version of which can be downloaded from

http://rudranevatia.com/arcidemo.zip .

To the best of my knowledge Dr. Alashki's GaLa software is the only other software which can *design* arbitrarily shaped columns. There are several software which analyze arbitrarily shaped columns for a given set of reinforcement, axial loads and bi-axial moments. I am keen to know if STRUDS designs or analyzes such columns.

Regards,
Rudra Nevatia

perwez[AT]lnt... wrote:
Dear All

Greetings!

But please note that I want to develop software for design of L/T columns. So I don’t want to use ETABS/STRUDS or any other software for the design. At the same time design charts like SN Sinha's hand book also will not help directly in developing software.

1. To decide column is short or long, what shud be the criteria. For rectangular it is L/D=12, in term or L/r=40, Should we use 40 or we should use ACI guidance i.e. 22 for unbraced and 34 for braced.

2. For biaxial checking, code has given formula of alpha-n based on axial load level. Is same value valid for non-rectangular section. Bcos given alpha-n is approximate (empirical) value, may be valid for symmetric shape only.

I'll be waiting for reference of books and journals related to L/T column design and your point of view on above queries.

Regards and thanks

Perwez Ahmad

Dear SEFIans

Wish you very happy day!

per Indian codes.

ï'§ Please provide me name of the book, author and publisher

ï'§ Any paper dealing to above mentioned topic, journalâ€?s name

ï'§ Any website related to it.

ï'§ Kindly send me any material/literature you are having.

With warm regards

Perwez Ahmad

DISCLAIMER:
This Message and its contents is intended solely for the addressee and is proprietary.Information in this mail is for L&T Business Usage only. Any Use to other than the addressee is misuse and infringement to Proprietorship of L&T ECC.If you are not the addressee please return the mail to the sender.L&T ECC DIVISION

Want to start your own business? Learn how on  Yahoo! Small Business.

Posted via Email
akjhacpwd
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:15 am    Post subject: Developing Software for Design of L/T Column Reply with quote

Dear perwez

You can take take the guidance from Dr A.K.Mittal , KL-2 , Kavinagar , Ghaziabad Tel : 0120 2751763 . Dr Mittal has already developed the programme in 1997.

AKJHA
Dir(DMC)
CPWD

perwez[AT]lnt... wrote:
Dear All

Greetings!

Regards and thanks

Perwez Ahmad

Dear SEFIans

Wish you very happy day!

per Indian codes.

ï'§ Please provide me name of the book, author and publisher

ï'§ Any paper dealing to above mentioned topic, journalâ€?s name

ï'§ Any website related to it.

ï'§ Kindly send me any material/literature you are having.

With warm regards

Perwez Ahmad

DISCLAIMER:

Find out what India is talking about on  - Yahoo! Answers India
Send FREE SMS to your friend's mobile from Yahoo! Messenger Version 8. Get it NOW

Posted via Email
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Past Discussions Year 2006 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: