www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Pile Cap Design
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nitinlakade
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

I want to know what is the criteria for minimum percentage of steel in Pile Cap? When it is design as slab or beam? In which code or book I get the correct information,

Nitin
BMCPL
ibarua
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

15th Sept 2008

It would be best to use the strut[tie model (STM) for design of pile caps. An explanation may be found in RCC Designers' Handbook by Reynolds & Steedman (5th ed.)

Indrajit Barua.

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 nitinlakade wrote :
Quote:
I want to know what is the criteria for minimum
percentage of steel in Pile Cap? When it is design as
slab or beam? In which code or book I get the correct
information,

Nitin
BMCPL

Posted via Email
satish wagh
SEFI Regulars
SEFI Regulars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

When it is designed as slab as per ACI the minimum reinforcement at bottom is 0.18% & Minimum top Reinfrocement is 50% of bottom reinforcement. Experts can correct me if I’m wrong.

Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 5:30 PM
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Pile Cap Design

I want to know what is the criteria for minimum percentage of steel in Pile Cap? When it is design as slab or beam? In which code or book I get the correct information,

Nitin
BMCPL

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. It is solely intended for the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, use, disclosure, copying or distribution of all or parts of this e-mail or associated attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message or by telephone and delete this e-mail and any attachments permanently from your system.

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Nitin,

Many Indian books give the design of Pile caps, considering them as Beams. But they have to be designed using 3D-truss analogy. See SP 34 for detailing and minimum percentage of steel. one more interesting thing is the detailing of main reinforcement. They have to be provided as strips connecting the plies(due to the truss analogy). It is also important to provide bursting reinforcement as per SP 34.

According to me the best design provisions for pile cap is provided by the current Canadian concrete code!

Best wishes

Dr.N.Subramanian

--- On Mon, 9/15/08, nitinlakade <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
Quote:
Date: Monday, September 15, 2008, 5:29 PM

Nitin
BMCPL

Posted via Email
sdec.in
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

Normally it's the shear(checked at d/2 from face of column/pedestal which will govern the design of reinforcement;whether you idealise it as a beam or check it as a truss on any computer program, the thickness and r/f normally will be governed by shear.
Regards
Sangeeta
Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)
Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 11:27 PM
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Pile Cap Design

When it is designed as slab as per ACI the minimum reinforcement at bottom is 0.18% & Minimum top Reinfrocement is 50% of bottom reinforcement. Experts can correct me if Iím wrong.

Sent: Monday, September 15, 2008 5:30 PM
To: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)

Nitin
BMCPL

This e-mail and any attachment are confidential and may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. It is solely intended for the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, use, disclosure, copying or distribution of all or parts of this e-mail or associated attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message or by telephone and delete this e-mail and any attachments permanently from your system.

Posted via Email
suku82in
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

"Limit state design of RCC structure by P.C Vargese " says that truss theory of designing pilecap is valid for pile group up to 5 nos.After that bending theory prevails.If so then how can strut model be the best model for designing pilecap.Moreever it is uneconomical also.

Regards,
S.Adhikari

--- On Mon, 9/15/08, drnsmani <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:

[quote]From: drnsmani <forum@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Pile Cap Design
Date: Monday, September 15, 2008, 7:52 PM

Dear Mr. Nitin,

Many Indian books give the design of Pile caps, considering them as Beams. But they have to be designed using 3D-truss analogy. See SP 34 for detailing and minimum percentage of steel. one more interesting thing is the detailing of main reinforcement. They have to be provided as strips connecting the plies(due to the truss analogy). It is also important to provide bursting reinforcement as per SP 34.

According to me the best design provisions for pile cap is provided by the current Canadian concrete code!

Best wishes

Dr.N.Subramanian

--- On Mon, 9/15/08, nitinlakade wrote:
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
p_kadam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

Absolutely right.

regards,

P Kadam

"sdec.in" <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
[quote]    Normally it's the shear(checked at d/2 from face of column/pedestal which will govern the design of reinforcement;whether you idealise it as a beam or check it as a truss on any computer program, the thickness and r/f normally will be governed by shear.
Regards
Sangeeta
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
uhvaryani
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

Dear all,
An interesting question was posed whether a pile cap is to be regarded as a beam or a slab
in respect of providing the minimum reinforcement.IS:456 states that a pile cap is to be regarded as a footing
with pile reactions as concentrated loads from below.In footings,we check the minimum steel taking it as a
slab.So,we should consider pile cap also as a slab in this respect.You may refer page 204 in my book
Structural Design of Multi-storeyed Buildings.
with regards,
uhvaryani@gmail.com (uhvaryani@gmail.com)

Posted via Email
arunez.si@hotmail.com
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pile Cap Design Reply with quote

sir, i want some examples for design of double  pile cap...busting reinforcement design
rajancivildesign@gmail.co

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Design of Pile cap example Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
I herewith attached a typical two pile cap design, I have not drawn the sketch
for this problem. Kindly follow the steps. You can refer the Reinforced concrete Design by H.J.SHAH for clarity.
V.M.RAJAN.

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
2 pile capr.pdf
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  2 pile capr.pdf
 Filesize:  70.5 KB
 Downloaded:  2302 Time(s)

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: