www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

 Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Welding Anchor Bolts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jatfuentes
...
...


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Dear Sefians,

We have a problem in our company. The constructor made a mistake with the projection length over the concrete
of the anchor bolts in a big foundation. The length of the bolts are short of necessary, and now they want to
weld a piece of bolt in order to get the right length. The Anchor bolts have a diameter of 2" and the material
is SAE 1020.
Any of you have experience with this problem?. I will like to hear your experiences or ideas.
Any advice will be welcome.

With regars,
Jatfuentes

Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 5442
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Hi Jatfuentes,

These kinds of problems often arise in construction. Once I was shocked to find a contractor using gas torches for enlarging the holes, as the drilled holes did not match at the site! If the forces applied on the base plate are Compressive, no problem in increasing the length by welding. But if they are Tensile, you have to take precautions.
Regards
NS

Dr.N.Subramanian,Ph.D.,F.ASCE, M.ACI,

Consulting Structural Engineer
Maryland, USA

See my books at: www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-book.htm
www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559





--- On Wed, 1/7/09, jatfuentes <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
Quote:
From: jatfuentes <forum@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Welding Anchor Bolts
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 5:30 PM

Dear Sefians,

We have a problem in our company. The constructor made a mistake with the projection length over the concrete
of the anchor bolts in a big foundation. The length of the bolts are short of necessary, and now they want to
weld a piece of bolt in order to get the right length. The Anchor bolts have a diameter of 2" and the material
is SAE 1020.
Any of you have experience with this problem?. I will like to hear your experiences or ideas.
Any advice will be welcome.

With regars,
Jatfuentes
     



     



Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jatfuentes
...
...


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Thank you Dr Subramanian,

Your advice make to much sense, because theoretically anchor bolts are necessary only for uplift forces. I will
check with the engineer if there is uplift in his structure or if these anchor bolts are compressed.

Again,
Thanks


---------- Cabešalho original -----------

De: "drnsmani" forum@sefindia.org
Para: general@sefindia.org
Cˇpia:
Data: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:56:15 +0530
Assunto: [SEFI] Re: Welding Anchor Bolts

Quote:
Hi Jatfuentes,

These kinds of problems often arise in construction. Once I was shocked to find a contractor using gas
torches for enlarging the holes, as the drilled holes did not match at the site! If the forces applied on the
base plate are Compressive, no problem in increasing the length by welding. But if they are Tensile, you have
to take precautions.
Quote:
Regards
NS

[Image: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/23.gif ]Dr.N.Subramanian,Ph.D.,F.ASCE, M.ACI,

Consulting Structural Engineer
Maryland, USA

See my books at: www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-book.htm
(http://www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-book.htm)
Quote:
www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559 (http://www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559)





--- On Wed, 1/7/09, jatfuentes <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:

Quote:
From: jatfuentes <forum@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Welding Anchor Bolts
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 5:30 PM

Dear Sefians,

We have a problem in our company. The constructor made a mistake with the projection length over the concrete
of the anchor bolts in a big foundation. The length of the bolts are short of necessary, and now they want to
weld a piece of bolt in order to get the right length. The Anchor bolts have a diameter of 2" and the material
is SAE 1020.
Any of you have experience with this problem?. I will like to hear your experiences or ideas.
Any advice will be welcome.

With regars,
Jatfuentes








Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
anurag.sinha
...
...


Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Posts: 53
Location: New Delhi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Dear Jatfuentes  

In addition to tension (case specific) there has to be some shear force also (wind/ seismic). Therefore my advise would be to check for combined forces, which is more critical.

Regards,

Anurag Sinha

From: jatfuentes [mailto:forum@sefindia.org]
Sent: 07 January 2009 21:59
To: general@sefindia.org
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Welding Anchor Bolts



Thank you Dr Subramanian,

Your advice make to much sense, because theoretically anchor bolts are necessary only for uplift forces. I will
check with the engineer if there is uplift in his structure or if these anchor bolts are compressed.

Again,
Thanks


---------- Cabe├žalho original -----------

De: "drnsmani" forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)
Para: general@sefindia.org (general@sefindia.org)
C├│pia:
Data: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:56:15 +0530
Assunto: [SEFI] Re: Welding Anchor Bolts    
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Posts: 2212

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Dear  Mr Jatfuentes

I think by Butt- welding the piece of anchorbolt with already embeded  
AnchorBolt , you may not achieve the desired tensile strength

In addition to this, it will be more effective if the embeded Anchor bolts
shall be Fillet-welded with the base plate after its positioning (at site)  
to provide additional strength against tensile forces due to uplift

regards

vikramjeet

Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ibarua
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Posts: 1039

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

9TH JAN 2009

In case of tensile forces on the bolts, a solution may be to provide a 'cover' or 'sleeve' over the butt welded joint and then weld the 'sleeve' to the bolt, taking care not to damage the threads which will hold the nuts in place. Also, the question of loss of strength /increase in brittleness of the bolts due to heating during the welding process has to be considered.

Indrajit Barua.  

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 drnsmani wrote :
Quote:
Hi Jatfuentes,

These kinds of problems often arise in construction.
Once I was shocked to find a contractor using gas
torches for enlarging the holes, as the drilled holes
did not match at the site! If the forces applied on the
base plate are Compressive, no problem in increasing
the length by welding. But if they are Tensile, you
have to take precautions.
Regards
NS

[Image: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmiley-
s2/23.gif ]Dr.N.Subramanian,Ph.D.,F.ASCE, M.ACI,

Consulting Structural Engineer
Maryland, USA

See my books at: www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-boo-
k.htm (http://www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-book.h-
tm)
www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559
(http://www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559)





--- On Wed, 1/7/09, jatfuentes <forum@sefindia.org>
wrote:

Quote:
From: jatfuentes <forum@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Welding Anchor Bolts
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 5:30 PM

Dear Sefians,

We have a problem in our company. The constructor
made a mistake with the projection length over the
concrete
Quote:
of the anchor bolts in a big foundation. The length
of the bolts are short of necessary, and now they want
to
Quote:
weld a piece of bolt in order to get the right
length. The Anchor bolts have a diameter of 2" and the
material
Quote:
is SAE 1020.
Any of you have experience with this problem?. I will
like to hear your experiences or ideas.
Quote:
Any advice will be welcome.

With regars,
Jatfuentes








Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Posts: 5442
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Dear Mr.Jatfuentes,
The following solution suggested by Mr.Indrajit Barua is the best one for you to adopt, whether the anchor bolt is in tension or compression.

Regards
NS

Dr.N.Subramanian,Ph.D.,F.ASCE, M.ACI,

Consulting Structural Engineer
Maryland, USA

See my books at: www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-book.htm
www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559





--- On Thu, 1/8/09, ibarua <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
[quote]From: ibarua <forum@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Welding Anchor Bolts
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 10:32 AM

9TH JAN 2009

In case of tensile forces on the bolts, a solution may be to provide a 'cover' or 'sleeve' over the butt welded joint and then weld the 'sleeve' to the bolt, taking care not to damage the threads which will hold the nuts in place. Also, the question of loss of strength /increase in brittleness of the bolts due to heating during the welding process has to be considered.

Indrajit Barua.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 drnsmani wrote :
      --auto removed--

Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jatfuentes
...
...


Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Thanks, Dr. Subramanian, Thanks Mr. Indrajit Barua and all friends that sent ideas,

It is exactly what a I did. I used a butt weld and a sleeve welded to the anchor bolt. The pipe (sleeve ) I
used is SAC 50, of better quality than the anchor bolt( SAE 1020).
In other e-mail I will send the detail of the anchor bolt splice for future reference.

Regards,
jatfuentes






---------- Cabešalho original -----------

De: "drnsmani" forum@sefindia.org
Para: general@sefindia.org
Cˇpia:
Data: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 21:34:02 +0530
Assunto: [SEFI] Re: Welding Anchor Bolts

Quote:
Dear Mr.Jatfuentes,
The following solution suggested by Mr.Indrajit Barua is the best one for you to adopt, whether the anchor
bolt is in tension or compression.
Quote:

Regards
NS

[Image: http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/23.gif ]Dr.N.Subramanian,Ph.D.,F.ASCE, M.ACI,

Consulting Structural Engineer
Maryland, USA

See my books at: www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-book.htm
(http://www.multi-science.co.uk/subramanian-book.htm)
Quote:
www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559 (http://www.oup.co.in/search_detail.php?id=144559)





--- On Thu, 1/8/09, ibarua <forum@sefindia.org> wrote:
Quote:
From: ibarua <forum@sefindia.org>
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Welding Anchor Bolts
To: general@sefindia.org
Date: Thursday, January 8, 2009, 10:32 AM

9TH JAN 2009

In case of tensile forces on the bolts, a solution may be to provide a 'cover' or 'sleeve' over the butt
welded joint and then weld the 'sleeve' to the bolt, taking care not to damage the threads which will hold the
nuts in place. Also, the question of loss of strength /increase in brittleness of the bolts due to heating
during the welding process has to be considered.
Quote:

Indrajit Barua.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 drnsmani wrote :
      --auto removed--








Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pravin.pai
General Sponsor
General Sponsor


Joined: 25 Aug 2008
Posts: 71
Location: Mumbai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

Dear Mr Barua:

I did not understand this solution. After he provides the sleeve over the joint, how can they screw the nut over it?

regards
ppai



On 1/8/09, ibarua <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote: [quote]  9TH JAN 2009

In case of tensile forces on the bolts, a solution may be to provide a 'cover' or 'sleeve' over the butt welded joint and then weld the 'sleeve' to the bolt, taking care not to damage the threads which will hold the nuts in place. Also, the question of loss of strength /increase in brittleness of the bolts due to heating during the welding process has to be considered.

Indrajit Barua.

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 drnsmani wrote :
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ranna
...
...


Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Posts: 75

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:35 am    Post subject: Welding Anchor Bolts Reply with quote

the anchor bolt can definitely be welded.
for welding requirement kindly contact
welding research institute
bhel,
trichy 620014
phone 0431 2520266
r.anna
ranna@bheltry.co.in (ranna@bheltry.co.in)

jatfuentes wrote:
Quote:
    Dear Sefians,

We have a problem in our company. The constructor made a mistake with the projection length over the concrete
of the anchor bolts in a big foundation. The length of the bolts are short of necessary, and now they want to
weld a piece of bolt in order to get the right length. The Anchor bolts have a diameter of 2" and the material
is SAE 1020.
Any of you have experience with this problem?. I will like to hear your experiences or ideas.
Any advice will be welcome.

With regars,
Jatfuentes







Posted via Email
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


© 2003, 2008 SEFINDIA, Indian Domain Registration
Publishing or acceptance of an advertisement is neither a guarantee nor endorsement of the advertiser's product or service. advertisement policy