www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Is Gusset Plate is compulsory for a truss of span ( 6-10 m)made of rectangular hollow section as per sp 38 ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rajatpatel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:32 pm    Post subject: Is Gusset Plate is compulsory for a truss of span ( 6-10 m)made of rectangular hollow section as per sp 38 ? Reply with quote

DearSefians
I will be thankful if any body Kindly suggest regarding gusset platefor a RHS roof trusses. Is it always compulsory to provide gusset plate in every junction point of truss member as per SP38 or any relevant IS. Our working drg has nothing in detail of size of weld or gusset plate.As per my knowledge sp 38 clearly mentioned the size for A type trusses and for tubular trusses.
   Again thanking you for any valuable comment.
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Rajath,
You can weld Structural Hollow Section members one another at a junction, without using gusset plate. Text book says that this will ensure more uniform stress distribution.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
abhio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Rajath,

Gusset plates are useful for collecting forces from one member and transferring the same to another member along a clearly defined load path, which can be easily analysed and designed. Also, connections with gusset plates are convenient for  fabrication as each member can be simply cut square and need not be cut at an angle to match the abutting member.

However, if you can accept the complications in fabrication (matching cut ends) and in analysis/ design, then you can certainly go ahead with connections of one member directly to another without gusset plates.
rajatpatel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Thank you sir for your valuable reply.Sir kindly suggest me the reference book so that I will go through it . Reply with quote

abhio wrote:
Dear Er Rajath,

Gusset plates are useful for collecting forces from one member and transferring the same to another member along a clearly defined load path, which can be easily analysed and designed. Also, connections with gusset plates are convenient for  fabrication as each member can be simply cut square and need not be cut at an angle to match the abutting member.

However, if you can accept the complications in fabrication (matching cut ends) and in analysis/ design, then you can certainly go ahead with connections of one member directly to another without gusset plates.
rajatpatel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Thank you sir for your kind effort.May I request you sir kindly suggest me the source of reference Reply with quote

Dear sir
Kindly guide.As on site trusses are already erected and false ceiling work under progress.Now technical examiner give an observation to follow Sp 38 and provide accordingly gusset plate(but drg is silence) .Which is now one of the difficult rectification financially as well as time being (almost 30 bldgs). So I ve to be proof it is safe or else it is not required
  I will be obliged.

Last edited by rajatpatel on Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
rajatpatel
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Thank you sir for your kind effort.May I request you sir kindly suggest me the source of reference Reply with quote

es_jayakumar wrote:
Dear Er. Rajath,
You can weld Structural Hollow Section members one another at a junction, without using gusset plate. Text book says that this will ensure more uniform stress distribution.

Regards,
E S Jayakumar
es_jayakumar
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fundamental of Structural Steel Design" by ML Gambhir (McGrawHill). See page 16.9 and Example 16.2 (page 16.26). The point to be noticed here is that you have to fix the weld size according to the tensile force, as the peripheral length of the tube along which welding is done is fixed, as you are not using gusset plate.

E S Jayakumar
vegad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear member,

Question 2) Why is your structural engineer silent? . . .

Question 1) Have you appointed a structural engineer?

Let the engineer face the technical examiner. Let us know what your structural engineer has to reply to the technical examiner.

All the best.
abhio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Rajat,

I must apologize for not reading your question properly the first time. Gusset plates are commonly used and are usually the best solution for connections with open sections (channels, angles, etc.).

However, closed structurals like RHS, CHS are usually connected without gusset plates. See the Corus/ Tata Steel publications for RHS/ CHS connections.
abhio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Vegad,

You have asked the right questions (and in the right order!)
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: