www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Er. Srinivasa (Hal) Iyengar-2006 Fazlur Rahman Khan Meda

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Er. Srinivasa (Hal) Iyengar-2006 Fazlur Rahman Khan Meda Reply with quote

2006 Fazlur Rahman Khan Medal Winner

Mr. Srinivasa Iyengar
Retired Partner and Director of Structural Engineering
Skidmore Owings & Merrill

Er. Srinivasa (Hal) Iyengar is a structural consultant and was the partner and director of Structural Engineering at Skidmore, Owings & Merrill from 1975 to 1992. He has been involved in the development of diverse structural solutions for projects varying greatly in function, scale and geographic locations over the last forty-five years. Widely recognized in his field, Er. Iyengar has been particularly instrumental in the development of innovative and efficient structural concepts and systems for high-rise, long-span and stadium structures. Outstanding examples include: John Hancock Center, Sears Tower, Anaheim Stadium expansion, Soldier Field renovation, McCormick Exposition Center/Chicago, Convention Center in Hong Kong, Broadgate Phase 11, Hotel Artes in Barcelona, Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, and Millennium Park in Chicago.

Er. Iyengar is a member of the National Academy of Engineering, an Honorary Member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, a fellow of the Institution of Structural Engineers UK, and a member of the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois. Mr. Iyengar has received many awards and recognitions, including a Lifetime Achievement Award from AISC, the ASCE Ernest E. Howard Award, Innovations in Civil Engineering Award by ASCE for the Guggenheim Museum, a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Structural Section of ASCE's Illinois Division, and the Structural Engineering Association of Illinois's John Parmer Award for Lifetime Achievement in Structural Engineering. He has published extensively (over 100 technical articles) and has participated in numerous conferences and symposiums.

John Hancock Center
Chicago, IL 1969

Sears Tower
Chicago, IL, 1974
Broadgate Exchange House
London, UK, 1990

Dr.N.Subramanian,Ph.D.,F.ASCE, M.ACI,

Maryland, USA

Posted via Email
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Er. Srinivasa (Hal) Iyengar-2006 Fazlur Rahman Khan Meda Reply with quote

Dear All,

I am sad to report that the famous and innovative Engineer Srinivasa 'Hal' Iyengar died on July 4th 2019 in Fort Myers, Fl. of complications from Parkinson’s disease and heart disease, at a ripe age of 85.

Srinivasa "Hal" Iyengar helped develop the innovative framing structures for the former John Hancock Center, now known as 875 N. Michigan Ave., as well as Willis Tower. (Armando L. Sanchez / Chicago Tribune)

Srinivasa "Hal" Iyengar played a key role on the engineering team that worked with architect Frank Gehry on the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, shown in 1997, the year the titanium-encased structure opened. (SANTIAGO LYON / Associated Press)

More details about him and the structures designed by him may be found in the following:
Weger, T.(2000)  “Hal Iyengar’s three decades at SOM: From Chicago’s Sears Tower to Spain’s Guggenheim Museum” , Modern Steel Construction, AISC, V. 40, No.5, https://www.aisc.org/globalassets/modern-steel/archives/2000/05/2000v05_sears.pdf
See also: https://www.timetoast.com/timelines/skyscrapers--2

Regards
NS
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:00 am    Post subject: A legend engineer of Structural Engineeing. I worked with him at SOM Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Subramanian, Thanks for this posting about  
innovative Engineer Srinivasa 'Hal' Iyengar . Very sorry to know death of such a legend structural engineer  .  May his soul rest in peace .
I worked with him at SOM ( Skidmore Owings & Merrill ) . I was on his  two projects  :
1) Broadgate Exchange House , London, UK, 1990 .
2) 58 Story High Rise in Down Town Chicago . An office building .

Feel proud to be having worked  with such a legend of Structural Engineering  .  I worked at SOM for 7 years .

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.
Structural Engineer

Broadgate London .jpg
 Description:
Broadegate London , U.K.
 Filesize:  19.28 KB
 Viewed:  32 Time(s)

Broadgate London .jpg

3 FNP .jpg
 Description:
58 Story Three First National , Chicago, Composite Structure
 Filesize:  263.64 KB
 Viewed:  25 Time(s)

3 FNP .jpg

Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A legend engineer of Structural Engineeing. I worked with him at SOM Reply with quote

Dear Er Pandyaji,

Very happy to know that you worked with such a legend and that too on his very novel and innovative Broadgate Exchange House , London, UK, 1990. You are very lucky. I was amazed to know the details of this bridge cum building and the way he has designed the building. You are lucky to have worked in the great consulting firm Skidmore Owings & Merrill for 7 years.

The photo of the other building (58 Story High Rise in Down Town Chicago) is impressive. What innovations were adopted in this building?
I have to learn a lot of things from you.

Warm regards,
Subramanian

VPandya wrote:
Dear Dr. Subramanian, Thanks for this posting about  
innovative Engineer Srinivasa 'Hal' Iyengar . Very sorry to know death of such a legend structural engineer  .  May his soul rest in peace .
I worked with him at SOM ( Skidmore Owings & Merrill ) . I was on his  two projects  :
1) Broadgate Exchange House , London, UK, 1990 .
2) 58 Story High Rise in Down Town Chicago . An office building .

Feel proud to be having worked  with such a legend of Structural Engineering  .  I worked at SOM for 7 years .

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.
Structural Engineer
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Composite Structures , Concrete Moment Frame with Steel for Gravity loads . Reply with quote

Dear  Dr.  Subramanian,
Thanks for your  nice comments .  The 58 story THREE FIRST NATIONAL BUILDING IN DOWN TOWN CHICAGO IS CALLED COMPOSITE STRUCTURE . This is a major innovation in the field of High Rise Building Design

COMPOSITE STRUCTURES :
1) The major design challenge in such Ultra High Rise is in meeting code  tough DRIFT  REQUIREMENTS .  That also affects Non-Structural part of Structure like FACADE ( Glass Cladding ) .You need COLUMNS in a MOMENT FRAME building with large Strong Axis  MOMENT OF INERTIA . If you do an  only steel building such steel columns have to be fabricated ( Built Up ) , which are very expensive and delay project dead line .  So in a composite structure  

LATERAL LOADS  ( Wind and Earthquake) :  use high strength concrete  large dimension concrete columns for Moment Frame ( Out Side  moment frame building ) .

GRAGITY LOADS ( Dead Loads, Live Loads ) use steel columns . Inside Frame of Simple Shear connected steel Beams and Columns .

There is a special connection detail which  Shri  Iyengar  developed of Gravity Beams to out side large dimension ,  concrete columns of a Moment Frame . This is a simple connection in which the Inside steel Gravity Frame does not move with out side concrete Moment Frame , Not suppose to move , that is the idea,

Use the best properties of both materials CONCRETE  and STEEL .  So simple .

Sorry I am writing this to you , there is an AMERICAN  IDIOM OF WHAT I AM DOING IN THIS  POST "  I  AM   PREACHING  BIBLE  TO   POPE . "

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya  P.E.
Structural Engineer

3 FNP .jpg
 Description:
58 story THREE FIRST NATIONAL BUILDING Composite Structure in down town Chicago
 Filesize:  78.74 KB
 Viewed:  23 Time(s)

3 FNP .jpg

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: