www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Research Papers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Feature Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.V.Harsoda
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:44 am    Post subject: Research Papers Reply with quote

Dear Sanjeevji/Admin.

I request to open new part/Section of forum for research E-Papers from our members.
Affter open discussion papers shall be approved as  research E-papers of this forum.

B. V. Harsoda
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Harsoda Ji,

Idea is welcome, how ever please think about following modalities

1. How will do quality control
  2. SEFI doesnt have resources onboard yet for peer review of such content. Without review, the correctness can be disclaimed.
  3. If we could come up with a editor board of subject matter experts who would be able to read such content and approve or comment, it wil make sense. At present I am unsure how to do this.
  4. Though regular publications process is time consuming and clumsy if we use the concept of E-Paper and fast reviews via EMAIL/Web that would expedite and make the process more democratic , I welcome suggestions on this idea. This idea can have far fetched impact on community resouces in getting organised and being validated and hence more useful to community as well the author as the exposure and validation from 7000+ community of expert is big applaud in itself.

Let me know your thoughts as well as I welcome community to contribute more ideas.

Some time ago we discussed Wiki, that could be merged with this idea along with other suggestions to work out optimum solution.

Best Regards

Sanjeev Kumar
Admin
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shariffmn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear B. V. Harsoda sir,

This is a wonderful thought & a great idea.
We can have an editorial panel from distinguished senior members of the forum along with some IIT profs. This way we can have a mix of people form industry as well as from the academics.
It definately is a mamoth task to transform this into reality, but once this happens it would really be a defining moment!
I hope this idea becomes a reality.

Regards,
Shariff M N
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sure look forward to it. Looking forward to more views from concerned sefians.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

It is a good idea proposed by Er Harsoda. I appreciate it.

However as Er Sanjeev has explained there are many practical difficulties. It may not be difficult to find a panel of Reviewers as we have many eminent professors - Prof. Jain, Prof. Rai from IITK, Prof. ARC of IITR, Prof. RN Iyengar, and Scientists like Dr Arul Jeyachandran, Dr Rajamane, Dr

Kunal Kansara, and senior practitioners like Er Barua, Er Vikramjeet, Er Rudra, Er Rangarajan, Er Suraj, Er Vivek, Er Vipul, Er Alpa, Er Varyani, and others already contributing in this Forum.

There are already many e-journals(to site a few: http://www.ejse.org/,http://www.ejge.com/Index_ejge.htm). But I am not sure they are efficient and faster in publishing papers, as they contain only a few papers.

Moreover, the research papers are published mostly by academic persons only. Most of the important papers are published in International journals of repute.

May be we can try out a magazine type and depending on the response convert to a journal -like it was done in ICI.

Best wishes,
Subramanian

admin wrote:
Dear Harsoda Ji,

Idea is welcome, how ever please think about following modalities

1. How will do quality control
  2. SEFI doesnt have resources onboard yet for peer review of such content. Without review, the correctness can be disclaimed.
  3. If we could come up with a editor board of subject matter experts who would be able to read such content and approve or comment, it wil make sense. At present I am unsure how to do this.
  4. Though regular publications process is time consuming and clumsy if we use the concept of E-Paper and fast reviews via EMAIL/Web that would expedite and make the process more democratic , I welcome suggestions on this idea. This idea can have far fetched impact on community resouces in getting organised and being validated and hence more useful to community as well the author as the exposure and validation from 7000+ community of expert is big applaud in itself.

Let me know your thoughts as well as I welcome community to contribute more ideas.

Some time ago we discussed Wiki, that could be merged with this idea along with other suggestions to work out optimum solution.

Best Regards

Sanjeev Kumar
Admin
shariffmn

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In full agreement with Dr. Subramanian sir's POV!!
Well said! Starting a magazine is defiantely not as difficult as maintaining a journal, though magazine also needs considerable amount of effort.
It would be interesting to here form other senior Sefians, if we have a major chunk have a similar though, perhaps we can move forward.

Regards,
Shariff M N
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the views. To make sure the opinion materializes to real life, I see help from community in following:

a) Draft Formal Proposal for the proposed e-jourmal/magazine
b) Give a study of current similar projects available else where  (Once can use Google)
c) Since this will be extra effort and reviewers may not be available for free, I am unsure how SEFI, or any Journal actually pays for reviewers valuable time.
d) We wish to have Sustainable Idea which is economically viable.

To go to next level thought consolidation process, lets discuss these and converge idea in to well written draft proposal.

I hope Harsoda Ji can take the lead for this and create a draft proposal covering all aspects and sustainability ideas. I welcome ideas from all sefians on this.

This will help consolidate idea into actionable path forward.

best Regards

Sanjeev
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Sanjeev,

I have already given you the links to  e-journals( http://www.ejse.org/, http://www.ejge.com/Index_ejge.htm). You may see them for the formats. I think you should have a separate web page for the Journal/ Magazine. To begin with it may be bi-monthly or quarterly.

The first step for you is to create the Editorial Board and the Editor-in-chief. The editorial board members should be requested to write at least a few articles. Perhaps some professor like Prof. Rai/Prof. Murty of IITK or Dr Arul Jeyachandran of SERC or Prof. ARC may be made as Editor-in-chief.

You may rope in a few SEFIans like  Prof. RN Iyengar,  Dr Arul Jeyachandran, Dr Rajamane, Dr Kunal Kansara,  Er Barua, Er Vikramjeet, Er Rudra, Er Rangarajan, Er Suraj, Er Vivek, Er Vipul Ahuja,  B. V. Harsoda, Prof.K.N. Sheth, Er  Alok Bhowmik, Er Sangeeta Vij, Dr M. Kalgal, Er Alpa, Er Varyani, A K Jha as members. I have selected the names from SEFI list based on their interaction and experience in writing articles. I might have missed someone who is not participating regularly but is a potential reviewer/editorial board Member. There are also some SEFIans like Er Rajendra Lele  who are living outside India- Their names may contribute to the International nature of the journal/Magazine. You/Editor-in-chief may think of roping in some other well known International prof/consultants.

I am in the Review/editorial Committee of Indian International Journal of Space Structures(IJSS), American Concrete Institute(ACI), Indian Concrete Journal (ICJ), and Indian Concrete Institute(ICI). No one pays a dime for reviewing papers or on the editorial board. ACI and ICJ acknowledge our assistance by thanking us in the journal once every year(December issue), by publishing the names of reviewers. ICI does not  even do that. Since I am in the editorial board of IJSS and Civil engg and Construction review (CE & CR) they publish our names in every issue under the Editorial Board.

Only commercial magazines like Master Builder and NBM & CW pay a small remuneration for the authors. Since they get a large number of advertisements, it is not difficult for them to pay a nominal amount to authors (I think it is Rs. 3000 per paper). We need not pay anything to authors as it is only e-magazine. But as we have 7000+ members, we can also easily get advt -That is another advantage of starting a  magazine instead of a journal (see http://www.structuremag.org/issue.aspx).

I do not know the economics. But it is only an e-magazine. Hence the cost of producing and distributing is minimal. Of course if you get a few advertisements that should be enough to sustain it. But you should have some one who should do the donkey's work of getting the papers, corresponding with the authors, reviewers, Advertisers, etc.,

I will stop with this. Hope others will pitch in.

Regards,
Subramanian

admin wrote:
Thanks for the views. To make sure the opinion materializes to real life, I see help from community in following:

a) Draft Formal Proposal for the proposed e-jourmal/magazine
b) Give a study of current similar projects available else where  (Once can use Google)
c) Since this will be extra effort and reviewers may not be available for free, I am unsure how SEFI, or any Journal actually pays for reviewers valuable time.
d) We wish to have Sustainable Idea which is economically viable.

To go to next level thought consolidation process, lets discuss these and converge idea in to well written draft proposal.

I hope Harsoda Ji can take the lead for this and create a draft proposal covering all aspects and sustainability ideas. I welcome ideas from all sefians on this.

This will help consolidate idea into actionable path forward.

best Regards

Sanjeev
B.V.Harsoda
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er. Sanjeev ji,

I fully Agree with Respected Dr. Subramanian

Sir, &  I propose  Dr. Subramanian Sir's  Name  As

Editor-in-chief.

Regards,

B. V. Harsoda

Last edited by B.V.Harsoda on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
shariffmn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even I would propose to have Dr. Subramanian as the Editor-in-chief. Not only he has the experience, but he also devotes a lot of time for research works & SEFI, which a very few SEFIans do!

Regards,
Shariff M N
Post new topicReply to topic    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Feature Requests All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: