|Dr. N. Subramanian
Joined: 21 Feb 2008
Location: Gaithersburg, MD, U.S.A.
|Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:46 pm Post subject: Dr Shamsher Prakash- Expert from Soil Mechanics to Soul Mech
|Prof Shamsher Prakash
Dr. Shamsher Prakash was born on January 3, 1933 in India. His early education was in Punjab. He earned his bachelor's degree in engineering from Roorkee University as well as an M.S. and Ph. D. in Civil engineering from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Dr. Prakash is an international expert in soil dynamics and earthquake engineering. He has published several books and over three hundred technical papers. He has guided 24 Ph.D. Students and more than 40 M.S. students. After retirement as a professor of civil engineering in India, Dr. Prakash joined the University of Missouri-Rolla faculty.
Dr. Prakash took his early training in Yoga at home and at the Arya Samaj he attended in India. A serious interest in yoga developed after his return to India upon completion of graduate studies in 1962. He devoted his efforts to learning everything possible about Yoga practices and philosophy from every teacher he could find during years 1962 through 1978.
Dr. Prakash has developed a unique program of Inner Peace, Happiness, based on Rishi Patanjalis Ashtang Yoga and a (Signature) Workshop on Yoga and Pranayam and Meditation.
Dr. Shamsher Prakash received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee, in December 2008. He has been cited for his internationally and nationally recognized work in the area of soil dynamics, including pioneering work on liquefaction of fine-grained soils, seismic design of piles, and seismic analysis of rigid retaining walls. He revolutionized the use of geotechnical engineering case histories in professional practice and education, and chaired 6-international conferences on case histories in geotechnical engineering 1984-2008. He has also authored the first comprehensive text on soil dynamics in 1981.
In 2003, he was awarded Honorary Doctorate by the Technical University of Civil Engineering, Bucharest, Romania. In 2004, Dr Prakash was recognized as Distinguished Alumnus by the Department of Civil Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL He was awarded Life Membership of ASCE and was named Honorary Editor of the International Journal of Case Histories in Geotechnical Engineering in 2004, Honorary Member of Indian Society of Earthquake Technology in 2003, and Indian Geotechnical Society in 2006.
Dr.Prakash is an international expert in Soil Mechanics. Therefore, his well meaning friends used to call him an EXPERT from Soil Mechanics to Soul Mechanics.
1. ―Soil Dynamics” (Second Edition) by Shamsher Prakash and V.K.Puri, under Preparation.
2. "Displacement Based Aseismic Design Charts for Rigid Retaining Walls". Shamsher Prakash, Alex Wu and E.A. Rafnsson, S.P. Foundation, Rolla, Missouri, June 1995
3. "Fundamentals of Soil Mechanics" by Shamsher Prakash, S.P. Foundation, Rolla, Missouri, Jan. 1995
4. "Pile Foundations in Engineering Practice," by Shamsher Prakash, Hari D. Sharma; John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1990.
5. "Foundations for Machines, Analysis, and Design," by Shamsher Prakash, V.K. Puri; John Wiley, New York, 1988.
6. "Soil Dynamics," by Shamsher Prakash, McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, N.Y. April 1981, Reprinted, S.P. Foundation, Rolla, Missouri 1991.
7."Analysis and Design of Foundations and Retaining Structures," by Shamsher Prakash, Gopal Ranjan and Swami Saran; Sarita Publishers, Meerut, Dec. 1979.
8. "Laboratory Geotechnical Testing," by Shamsher Prakash and P.K. Jain; Nemchand and Bros., Roorkee, U.P., 1978.
9. "Problems in Soil Engineering," by Shamsher Prakash and Gopal Ranjan; Sarita Prakashan Publishers, Meerut, U.P., 1976.
10. "Soil Mechanics and Foundation," by Bharat Singh and Shamsher Prakash; Nemchand and Bros., Roorkee, U.P., India, 1963 7th Edition, 1990.