www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Prof. V. Ramakrishnan- A Doyen of Concrete Research

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Prof. V. Ramakrishnan- A Doyen of Concrete Research Reply with quote

Prof. V. Ramakrishnan- A Doyen of Concrete Research

Prof. V. RAMAKRISHNAN, B.E., D.S.S.(University of Madras), D.I.C. (Conc. Tech.), D.I.C. (Hydro-Power) [Imperial College of Science and Technology, London], Ph.D. (University of London), is currently Regents Distinquished Professor of Emeritus at Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, SOUTH DAKOTA SCHOOL OF MINES & TECHNOLOGY, U.S.A.

Dr. V.Ramakrishnan has been involved in extensive research and application using concrete fiber composites for the past 40 years. He has been a consultant for all major fiber producers (both steel and synthetic) in the U.S.A.

He has authored or co-authored 3 books and more than 400 papers of which more than 50 papers were on the fiber reinforced concrete (FRC) and Construction with FRC. He has also performed numerous FRC research projects and has field experience in construction of FRC structural components.

Dr. Ramakrishnan is a fellow of the American Concrete Institute (FACI) and has served on ACI and TRB committees relating to FRC, including AASHTO TASK Force 36, Use of Fiber in Portland Cement.

He has done a lot of research and has field experience in using non-destructive testing techniques for evaluating concrete. Dr. Ramakrishnan has received numerous awards including ACI/CANMET Award for his contributions in fiber reinforced Concrete and CRC Robert Phileo Award for excellence in research from the ACI.

Dr. Ramakrishnan an international consultant has been invited four times by the Chinese government in 1987, 1989, 1997 and 2009. He had presented papers and lectures in Australia, Japan, U.K, Canada, all countries in Europe, India, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam, Singapore, Trinidad, Jamaica, Egypt, Mexico, Brazil, Mongolia etc.

To recognize the tremendous impact that he has made in advancing higher education and materials research and for his contributions to the state, the governor of South Dakota State proclaimed September 29, 2002, as "Dr. Venkataswamy Ramakrishnan Day".

For his substantive contributions to South Dakota School of Mines & Technology research activities in concrete technology and other areas, a new materials laboratory at the university was dedicated as Rama Materials Laboratory in April 2002.

Also read about his work on bacterial concrete, Basalt reinforcement, etc., as described by our Er Rangarajan: http://www.sefindia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5137
Prakash H M

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr.NS:

I was a student of "Dr.Rama" as he is fondly called and recently met with him in Bangalore at a seminar. I invited him for dinner and me and my other friend were very lucky to have him with us for about 2 hours. He still has the same energy and enthusiasm I saw 10 years ago. He gave me a biography of his book authored by one of his close relatives and it is really a touching story.

I took a picture with him and I am not sure if I should post it here.

Anyways, I thought I should tell that he is doing really great by actively participating in the Indian Construction market too.

Regards,
Prakash
Dr. N. Subramanian
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Er Prakash,

Yes. Prof. Ramakrishnan is still active, though he retired as Prof. of South Dakota school of Mines. He is still there as emeritus professor.

He has the habit of attending and delivering lectures in India every 3 or 4 years-  for the benefit of Indian Engineers. I know that he is now in India fo ra  Roving seminar organized by ICI. Good that you met him and thanks for sharing. My recent encounter with him was during the 2001 ACI convention at Washington D.C.

Here the conferences are very exp. - fees ranging from $500-700. Unless it is sponsored by any company it is out of the reach for individuals like me. In that connection ICI, ACCE and other professional organizations in India are doing a yomen service and even bringing International experts to talk during such seminars.

Take care
Best wishes
NS

phundekar wrote:
Dear Dr.NS:

I was a student of "Dr.Rama" as he is fondly called and recently met with him in Bangalore at a seminar. I invited him for dinner and me and my other friend were very lucky to have him with us for about 2 hours. He still has the same energy and enthusiasm I saw 10 years ago. He gave me a biography of his book authored by one of his close relatives and it is really a touching story.

I took a picture with him and I am not sure if I should post it here.

Anyways, I thought I should tell that he is doing really great by actively participating in the Indian Construction market too.

Regards,
Prakash
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> Engineering Marvels All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: