www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VPandya
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

Dear  SEFIN'S,

Today's  28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmedabad, killing 5 people and injuring many.
One of our  SEFIN member from Gujarat, claimed  that Gujarat has the best  building plan checks in India. Human error is possible in the best building inspection department. But this collapse seen on TV looks like a house of  playing cards failed.
I can not say more without having a professional engineers report but this kind
of  collapse is a WAKE-UP  CALL for us who are in this profession of  Building Design
and Structural Engineering.  Three months back we had similar story in Delhi where 80 people died. How many more? How to stop this?

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya
Structural Engineer
hiavinash
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

Can any SEFIN make a trip to site and opine what went wrong.

Regards

Avinash

Subject: [SEFI] Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda.
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 19:09:19 +0530
To: announcement@sefindia.org

--  Dear SEFIN'S,

Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmedabad, killing 5 people and injuring many.
One of our SEFIN member from Gujarat, claimed that Gujarat has the best building plan checks in India. Human error is possible in the best building inspection department. But this collapse seen on TV looks like a house of playing cards failed.
of collapse is a WAKE-UP CALL for us who are in this profession of Building Design
and Structural Engineering. Three months back we had similar story in Delhi where 80 people died. How many more? How to stop this?

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya
Structural Engineer

Posted via Email
lunasha
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

thnx sir for ur importance information.............

hope u will also giv details  cause of  collapse of 5 story building in Ahmedabad....

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM, VPandya <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:
           Dear SEFIN'S,

Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmedabad, killing 5 people and injuring many.
One of our SEFIN member from Gujarat, claimed that Gujarat has the best building plan checks in India. Human error is possible in the best building inspection department. But this collapse seen on TV looks like a house of playing cards failed.
of collapse is a WAKE-UP CALL for us who are in this profession of Building Design
and Structural Engineering. Three months back we had similar story in Delhi where 80 people died. How many more? How to stop this?

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya
Structural Engineer

Posted via Email
s.mishra22
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:01 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

Dear All,

It is really pathetic to come across all these accidents thee days. Nothing can be pointed at the root-shell. But I think the contractors and builders in most of the places across the country are not following the proffesional code of conduct. Lack of supervision and value engineering awareness will cause these sort of problems.

I have seen most of the cases, where non-engineering professionals carry out the structural work at the site roughly. They argue on this point that experience counts a lot. But I think this type of mentality should not be kept at ego point at the cost of human lives.

Regards

Soumyajit

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM, hiavinash <forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org)> wrote:
Quote:

Regards

Avinash

To: announcement@sefindia.org (announcement@sefindia.org)

-- Dear SEFIN'S,

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya
Structural Engineer

Posted via Email
vikram.jeet
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

Life is more precious than material consumption( in terms of steel kg/sq ft.)
Safety must take priority in design and construction and neglect of same
is criminal.
Soil testing, adequate foundations at firm founding level,sufficiency in
structural designing,ductile detailing in design must be followed with  
vigilant supervision and QC.The attitude of site /construction Er to ignore
supervision due to wrong thinking regarding design -safety factors  
must change .
It is good for SE to create economical design but if it is subject to
human errors ,not easily constructible, detailing mistake- prone,
no care for maintaining redundancies in structure may lead to  
bad design .

Overloading ,unauthorised -extensions must be checked by the owners
as many of collapses are due to extensions in building for which these
are not planned.

Such news hurt everyone.

vikramjeet
-- ­­

Posted via Email
PRADIPTA MOHAPATRA
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:49 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

The collapse during construction indicates
01. Design failure due to foundation on soil
02.The failure of the scaffolding perpetuating the collapse.
03. An accident of sort causing the failure of one or more columns at the Ground level.

All these raises a question can Govt.control Private Construction ,is a Structural Engineer given free hands to oversee all the works, or the construction is in the hands of General people who donot take Enginnering seriously!

This is perehaps a debate which needs to be addressed.

P.Mohapatra.
Structural Engineer
BUILDSOL.
Quote:
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2011 9:01 AM
Subject: [SEFI] Re: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda.

Regards

Avinash

-- Dear SEFIN'S,

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya
Structural Engineer

Posted via Email
bharatthej
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

I need to admit. Unlike other nations here most of the decision making tasks during concept design is with the architects than the structural engineers. Typically a builder (contracting) agency have a set of architects with a valid stamp and all they manipulate during concept design for municipal approval is to reduce the taxation and layout planning as per the regulations. They hardly look about the safety which i guess with a structural engineer intervention can be resolved. I am going for a startup as a structural engineering consultant , but this is the primary problem i faced.

Contractor will not care even if u are a charted engineer. A set of municipal licensed engineers will do for him. 

Either the architects have to strictly recommend him for a quality structural engineer or the govt. of india should take a initiative to pay way for equal roll for engineers with architects during the design.

Posted via Email
mitalsanghvi
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

“One of our SEFIN member from Gujarat, claimed that Gujarat has the best building plan checks in India.”

Dear sefians,

I belong to kachchh Gujarat……… Earthquake prone area………

I would like to brief about how government system works over here in plans and structural checking…

We have 4 authorities each for bhuj, rapar, anjar and bhachau after 2001 earthquake which regulates the construction practices in towns…… Called as Area Development Authority….. These are governing only towns area………
None of the authority have qualified staff for checking structural drawings, calculations etc……. They only have staff for checking architectural issues……..  

There are other towns and rural areas in kachchh where there is none to ask what anyone is building in terms of architectural and structural ………….  

This is what actual condition is……….

Sent: Friday, January 28, 2011 7:09 PM
To: announcement@sefindia.org

Dear SEFIN'S,

Regards.

Vasudeo Pandya
Structural Engineer

Posted via Email
saradhi_jv
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

Dear friend  what ever that is seen in televisions and channels in not correct. without knowing the facts one cannot judge the whole failure is whose responcibility.As far as I know there can be so many reasons. 1)The first major blind thing could be it was not designed by a professional engineer. 2) May be it was not executed and supervised by a qualified civil person. somebody would have done the design and execution those who are not qualified as I suspect as per my experiance.  regards  saradhi .jvs structural Engineer. hyderabad

Posted via Email
sivakumar.adiki
SEFI Member
SEFI Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Today's 28/01/2011 collapse of 5 story building in Ahmeda. Reply with quote

Dear all,

This is not only contractors mistakes,client also equally responsible for this type of accidents they create a huge pressures to complete the projects in time.

Regards
A.Siva
Strl Engg

Dear All,
[quote] It is really pathetic to come across all these accidents thee days. Nothing can be pointed at the root-shell. But I think the contractors and builders in most of

places across the country are not following the proffesional code of conduct. Lack of supervision and value engineering awareness will cause these sort of problems.

I have seen most of the cases, where non-engineering professionals carry out the structural work at the site roughly. They argue on this point that experience counts a lot. But I think this type of mentality should not be kept at ego point at the cost of human lives.

Regards

Soumyajit

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:01 AM, hiavinash forum@sefindia.org (forum@sefindia.org))> wrote:
--auto removed--

Posted via Email
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: