www.sefindia.org

STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING FORUM OF INDIA [SEFI]

Forum SubscriptionsSubscriptions DigestDigest Preferences   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister FAQSecurity Tips FAQDonate
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to websiteLog in to forum 
Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.

ETABS vs STAAD
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LELE AND ASSOCIATES

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:11 am    Post subject: ETABS vs STAAD Reply with quote

Dear All

We are planning to purchase ETABS (Indian code). Can we have the merits and demerits of ETABS VS STAAD
How can ETABS be better when we have STRUDS with us also. Can we have suggestions on how ETABS will be helpful to us.

Thanking you
Thankful People
1 user(s) is/are thankful for this post.
rahul.leslie
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some points I believe will be useful. I have worked with STAAD extensively earlier, but now I work mostly with ETABS; and thatís why I have given a list of advantages of ETABS in my view (please donít mistake me Ė Iím not trying to market it):-

* STAAD.Pro is the most widely used one in Asia

* The text editor facility for the model input file makes STAAD.Pro the most versatile for model creation and modification (when I get fed up fumbling with the menus of ETABS, I work with the ASCII file of ETABS, but, it not being meant for user editing, is so very cumbersome to do Ė but still I do).

* ETABS is the most advanced (from among what Iíve seen). ETABS has facility for:

- Construction sequence analysis.

- Push-over analysis. (RISA 3D also has this facility)

- Shear wall design thatís practically very useful (STRAP also has this. Results from STAAD are confusing to me)

- Live load reduction for upper floors (STAAD doesnít have this)

- Earth quake force can be applied in any angle (not just X and Y alone)

- Modelling tapered concrete beams

- Floor load for irregular panels, that is easy to do (STRAP too has this)

- Design of columns with cross section of any arbitrary shape (including T, L, +. STRAP too has this)

- Diaphram action (with earthquake loads and wind loads automatically applied on the diaphragm centre)

- Automatic lumping of masses for earthquake (STAAD doesnít have this, STRAP and NISA/Civil has)

- Choice of Eigen or Ritz vector for Response Spectrum analysis

- Auto calculation of beam reinforcements based on moments at column face, rather than at column centreline; and column reinforcements based on moments at beam soffit, rather than at beam centreline

- Rigid panel zone modifier

* STAAD.Pro and ETABS has facility for design as per IS:13920 (ductile detailing).

* STAAD.Pro and ETABS has additional software for foundation design (especially mat). They are STAAD.Foundation and SAFE respectively.

* NISA/Civil gives wonderful structural drawings that can be opened in AutoCAD.

* NISA, the general FEM package comes along with NISA/Civil. Around 10-12 years ago FEM Kit and STARDYNE used to be bundled with STAAD/Pro - Not anymore.

* NISA/Civil has facility for isolated & combined footings thatís convenient

* STRAP has a Wood-Armor facility with graphics, which I have seen elsewhere only in Civil/FEM (which works as a plug-in to ANSYS)

* SAP2000 has facilities for creep/shrinkage

The list is not exhaustive, but a few points that just occurred to me. I would like others to contribute their points of view on these, as well as other software, like STRUDL, CADS, RISA 3D, Struds, SCADDS, etc.

Regards,
Rahul Leslie
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rahul sir,

Nice to see your in depth knowledge on so many software..This is very rare that a individual is knowing so many softwares.

I have used STAAD extensibly.

I have started to learn ETABS from the online tutorials of CSI Berkeley and youtube...I have some question for you.Can you kindly help me:

1) As we have editor mode in STAAD.Do we have this in ETABS also.

2) STAAD uses Matrix method of strucural analysis for members and FEA for plates.Which method ETABS uses.

3) 3D rendering facility in STAAD ..Is this available in ETABS also.

4) CSI Berkeley provides ETABS,SAP and SAFE..What is the difference in all three because all this software comes from one company.

At the outset I could find that the graphical user interface of STAAD is better..i  heard that  technical background of ETABS is better

Can I get your email ID as I am new to ETABS I face problem frequently.

Regards,
S.Adhikari

rahul.leslie wrote:
Here are some points I believe will be useful. I have worked with STAAD extensively earlier, but now I work mostly with ETABS; and thatís why I have given a list of advantages of ETABS in my view (please donít mistake me Ė Iím not trying to market it):-

* STAAD.Pro is the most widely used one in Asia

* The text editor facility for the model input file makes STAAD.Pro the most versatile for model creation and modification (when I get fed up fumbling with the menus of ETABS, I work with the ASCII file of ETABS, but, it not being meant for user editing, is so very cumbersome to do Ė but still I do).

* ETABS is the most advanced (from among what Iíve seen). ETABS has facility for:

- Construction sequence analysis.

- Push-over analysis. (RISA 3D also has this facility)

- Shear wall design thatís practically very useful (STRAP also has this. Results from STAAD are confusing to me)

- Live load reduction for upper floors (STAAD doesnít have this)

- Earth quake force can be applied in any angle (not just X and Y alone)

- Modelling tapered concrete beams

- Floor load for irregular panels, that is easy to do (STRAP too has this)

- Design of columns with cross section of any arbitrary shape (including T, L, +. STRAP too has this)

- Diaphram action (with earthquake loads and wind loads automatically applied on the diaphragm centre)

- Automatic lumping of masses for earthquake (STAAD doesnít have this, STRAP and NISA/Civil has)

- Choice of Eigen or Ritz vector for Response Spectrum analysis

- Auto calculation of beam reinforcements based on moments at column face, rather than at column centreline; and column reinforcements based on moments at beam soffit, rather than at beam centreline

- Rigid panel zone modifier

* STAAD.Pro and ETABS has facility for design as per IS:13920 (ductile detailing).

* STAAD.Pro and ETABS has additional software for foundation design (especially mat). They are STAAD.Foundation and SAFE respectively.

* NISA/Civil gives wonderful structural drawings that can be opened in AutoCAD.

* NISA, the general FEM package comes along with NISA/Civil. Around 10-12 years ago FEM Kit and STARDYNE used to be bundled with STAAD/Pro - Not anymore.

* NISA/Civil has facility for isolated & combined footings thatís convenient

* STRAP has a Wood-Armor facility with graphics, which I have seen elsewhere only in Civil/FEM (which works as a plug-in to ANSYS)

* SAP2000 has facilities for creep/shrinkage

The list is not exhaustive, but a few points that just occurred to me. I would like others to contribute their points of view on these, as well as other software, like STRUDL, CADS, RISA 3D, Struds, SCADDS, etc.

Regards,
Rahul Leslie
sakumar79

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Adhikari,

1. ETABS has input saved in text format. It can be edited as a copy and opened as a new file. However, there is no documentation available to my knowledge for the formatting of it. Hence, it is much more tedious to work with input files in ETABS when compared to STAAD. While ETABS makes up for it with a much easier graphical interface, sometimes the lack of input file editing is a minus point. For example, for cross-checking of data, it is useful if we can take a printout of the input file and graphics of various level plans and various sections. This will not be possible in ETABS.

2. To the best of my knowledge, ETABS also uses Matrix method of strucural analysis for members and FEA for plates

3. 3D rendering is available in ETABS, it is actually more beautiful (IMHO)... Go to View menu and select Set Building View options. In first column bottom, check Extrusion and Object Fill...

4. ETABS is specifically designed for Building modelling. ETABS is short form for Extended Three-dimensional Analysis of Building Systems. SAP is a more generic modelling software. SAFE is for analysis, design and drafting of floors and foundations. Note that ETABS and SAP offer analysis and design only. Drafting the results from either can be achieved through SAFE.

Arun
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr Arun,

Thanks for the information.

I still want one more conformation of analysis method adopted by ETABS..

Regards,
S.Adhikari

sakumar79 wrote:
Dear Mr. Adhikari,

1. ETABS has input saved in text format. It can be edited as a copy and opened as a new file. However, there is no documentation available to my knowledge for the formatting of it. Hence, it is much more tedious to work with input files in ETABS when compared to STAAD. While ETABS makes up for it with a much easier graphical interface, sometimes the lack of input file editing is a minus point. For example, for cross-checking of data, it is useful if we can take a printout of the input file and graphics of various level plans and various sections. This will not be possible in ETABS.

2. To the best of my knowledge, ETABS also uses Matrix method of strucural analysis for members and FEA for plates

3. 3D rendering is available in ETABS, it is actually more beautiful (IMHO)... Go to View menu and select Set Building View options. In first column bottom, check Extrusion and Object Fill...

4. ETABS is specifically designed for Building modelling. ETABS is short form for Extended Three-dimensional Analysis of Building Systems. SAP is a more generic modelling software. SAFE is for analysis, design and drafting of floors and foundations. Note that ETABS and SAP offer analysis and design only. Drafting the results from either can be achieved through SAFE.

Arun
bipinsh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sukanta sir,

I will like to differ with your view that GUI of Staad pro is better than ETABS. I find GUI of SAP and ETABS far more user friendly than Staad pro. The grids provided in ETABs and SAP makes it easy to work with than the Staad pro.
Unfortunately like in STAAD pro in ETABS and SAP you canít work with GUI and Text mode simultaneously. As far as i Know ETABs also uses the Stiffness matrix method.
ETABS also have wonderful Virtual reality model generator. you can use the OpenGL view to do so. ETABS is the software which is specially used to analyze the building structure. u can also use the SAP but model generation and result interpretation are far more easier in Etabs.eg. SAP don't have storey response plots.
SAFE is used for foundation design and slab design only.

Another feature which make ETABS and SAP more attractive than STAAD is detailing of members. detailing of Rebars are far more easier in ETABS u can also export rebar area to excel for convinence.

Only fault i see is ETABS cannot generate the Floor loads. you have to model slabs as plate element and mesh it and apply floor loads on it.Otherwise i think modelling and rebar detailing is far easier in ETABS.

Another prime feature which ETABS and SAP has is modelling of Link elements.
You can model isolators,Damper, GAp , hook plastic elements.
You can also do multisupport excitation analysis on SAP using displacement timeshistory. I dont think direct integration time history analysis is supported in STAADpro which is essiential for nonlinear dynamic times history analysis (correct me if i am wrong).
I am attaching the picture of finite element model done in SAP 2000.
please note the non-prismatic element used in Tower and pier of the bridge and also the cable elements.

Warning: Make sure you scan the downloaded attachment with updated antivirus tools  before opening them. They may contain viruses.
Use online scanners
here and here to upload downloaded attachment to check for safety.
Effects of vertical GM onCS bridge.tif
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Effects of vertical GM onCS bridge.tif
 Filesize:  395.78 KB
 Downloaded:  2933 Time(s)

Bipin
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear engineers Arun,S.A, and Bipinsh,

Thanks for inputting so much information on various software. I expected the same while I put the same questions in a different way under the sticky topic SEISMIC DESIGN?

I am adding some more in the above topic after a while? a sample notable difference is :
The SAP2000 program has the ability to solve the multi-support, soil-structure interaction a facility which is not available in STAAD.

T.RangaRajan.
sukanta.adhikari
General Sponsor
General Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respected Rangarajan sir,

Thanks for the information about SAP.

Mr Bipinsh,

Firstly thanks,

I have just started learing ETABS after seeing the popularity of  ETABS.Might be I am wrong about the GUI.Hope once I become conversant with the some GUI will become friendly for me.

I request as we have done so many posting under topic  STAADPRO...I expect similar posting on ETABS and SAP from Rangarajan sir and others.

Regards,
S.Adhikari

thirumalaichettiar wrote:
Dear engineers Arun,S.A, and Bipinsh,

Thanks for inputting so much information on various software. I expected the same while I put the same questions in a different way under the sticky topic SEISMIC DESIGN?

I am adding some more in the above topic after a while? a sample notable difference is :
The SAP2000 program has the ability to solve the multi-support, soil-structure interaction a facility which is not available in STAAD.

T.RangaRajan.
LELE AND ASSOCIATES

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: ETABS vs STAAD Reply with quote

DEAR ALL

Thank you very much to all who have participated in this topic. We have one more question, how is ETABS in designing steel structures?

What is the recommendation, that we should go in for both ETABS and SAFE as a package if we were to buy it?

We expect to have your replies like earlier one!

Thanking you and regards,
thirumalaichettiar
Silver Sponsor
Silver Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etab -Extended alalysis for buildings-is  good for both R.C.C and Steel structures specially for buildings.
Safe is good for analysis and design with detailed reinforcement for slabs-flat slab, beam and specially foundation designs of all types including raft with different bearing capacity or soil spring for a structure is very good.

It is good to have them in a design office if the offer is an attractive one.

T.RangaRajan.
Post new topicReply to topic Thank Post    www.sefindia.org Forum Index -> SEFI General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: